Review by tdewit -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tdewit
Currently Reading: Destructive Interference
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tdewit.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by tdewit -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by tdewit »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Final Notice by Van Fleisher, senior citizens between the ages of 65 and 90 are given fitness watches with the capacity to monitor the user’s health. The watches have an added feature which provides a final notice to the user when they have 10, 20 or 30 days left to live. Final Notice explores the reactions of different individuals who have received their notice. How the recipients react to the news of their impending death varies widely. Some individuals choose to get their affairs in order and others to settle scores with those who have wronged them. This book also poses the question, what culpability does an inventor have in regards to unforeseen outcomes from their product.

The character development in this story is excellent. I like that there were many different scenarios presented but each is tied to the common thread of Vince and Trudi Fuller. The transition from story to story was seamless. I never felt reluctant to move to the next character’s story as I feel with other books that jump around. I liked that this book was modern and covered so many topics that we see in the news today. I tend to want to avoid some of the current events in the news so I wasn’t sure I wanted to read about it. I was pleasantly surprised and didn’t want to put this book down.

This book covered topics that made me think about my own life and asked questions I might not have considered otherwise. I like to think I am open minded about guns and immigration and hopeful for our world to be a better place, but am I? There are so many scary things going on today I rarely read books that feel like they could have been written today and not about a past event. I enjoyed the deviation from my traditional reading path. There isn’t anything about this book that I didn’t like.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a different perspective on death and aging and how people react to it. This book offered insight into elder abuse which is easy to dismiss if you aren’t a member of the elder community. If you enjoy a book that makes you think, this is a good choice.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The book felt professionally edited, I did not notice any errors or at least so few they aren’t worth mention. I was so immersed in the story I actually got goosebumps when the first character received his final notice.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like tdewit's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”