Official Review: Soup by Travis Haugen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Soup by Travis Haugen

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soup" by Travis Haugen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Soup: The Future is Past and Present by Travis Haugen is "an interactive musical thriller.” Musician Scott Yonge is thrust into the spotlight after receiving the 2001 Garrett Award. After his whirlwind romance with actress Michelle Zoe, the couple's idyllic life is derailed when Scott is targeted by Colonel Randall, the leader of an extremist militant group, The American Freedom Force. Forced to choose between the life of his son and his own, Scott makes the ultimate sacrifice for his family.

Fast forward to 2021; Scott's family members each deal with filling the void from his absence differently. Michelle struggles to protect her children as they become young adults. Their daughter, Carolyn--nicknamed Soup--seeks answers by researching her family's history. Their son, Hedley, who is also a musician, is becoming a star through the advances of technology. Meanwhile, AFF is still a threat--can the family find the peace that seems to elude them?

The book spans 273 pages with a timeline ranging from 1967 to the near future in 2021. As a professional musician for 40 years, the author draws from his experiences recording in studios and touring in Canda and the US. The multifaceted plot is intended to interact with 24 original songs; the links to the music and addendums from the Soup website are included in the book.

There is a lot to like about this book. First, is the cast of well-developed characters centered around the Yonge and Zoe families. I appreciate the inclusion of strong female characters portrayed by Michelle Zoe Yonge and her daughter, Soup. Scott Yonge and his son, Hedley, are musicians characterized by depth not typically associated with the rockstar persona. As the first in a series, the book includes detailed generational history and establishes sufficient background for future sequels.

The complex plot involves a timeline that moves fluidly between different interims in the past and present, which in this book, is the near future. While I don't want to reveal any spoilers, I found it comparable to watching a suspenseful movie that requires not taking your eyes from the screen to fully grasp the plot. It must be read carefully, but with such engaging storylines, it's easy to become engrossed.

I most liked the interactive aspect of the book. The author is a musician writing about musicians, and when the songs are mentioned, links are provided to listen to the music. I found that listening to the songs enhanced the enjoyment of the book. The author did an excellent job of formatting the material. I found no glitches or complications; listening to the provided music and returning to reading is as simple as clicking on the colored links. I also enjoyed the cover art and other featured sketches by illustrator, Haley Craw. Readers will appreciate the significance of the Canadian geese as the story unfolds.

Initially, I had to adjust to the book's chronology. In some regards, the plot almost works backward; the reader is presented with conclusive information, and it takes time for the backstory to be pieced together. The first several chapters introduce a lot of information, and in the beginning, I found the influx of events from different dates a bit confusing. However, as the story continues to unfold, more of the pieces fit together. The fluctuating timeline bears noting, but overall, it didn't detract from my reading enjoyment. I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and look forward to reading future books in the series. I recommend it to readers who enjoy complex thrillers. It will also appeal to music fans and those interested in near-future technological advances.

Soup
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

An interactive musical thriller? Wow! I haven't seen anything quite like it. Being a music person myself, I'm going to have to see what this is about. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 09:22 An interactive musical thriller? Wow! I haven't seen anything quite like it. Being a music person myself, I'm going to have to see what this is about. Thanks.
I hadn't either--it's a great concept, and the author executed it well. Thanks for your comment.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review. I liked your point that the plot is complex yet engrossing. The musical theme sounds interesting!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like a unique read and a feast for the eyes and ears! Absolutely loved your captivating review. Thanks much, Cecilia!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

bookowlie wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 10:32 Excellent review. I liked your point that the plot is complex yet engrossing. The musical theme sounds interesting!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 10:53 Sounds like a unique read and a feast for the eyes and ears! Absolutely loved your captivating review. Thanks much, Cecilia!
Thank you, Ruba.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Wow! I think it's cool that there's a musical interactive piece to this book, and I admire authors who are able to weave a story across such a long timespan. I actually love books that feel like
watching a suspenseful movie that requires not taking your eyes from the screen to fully grasp the plot.
Thanks for highlighting this unique work!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 16:09 Wow! I think it's cool that there's a musical interactive piece to this book, and I admire authors who are able to weave a story across such a long timespan. I actually love books that feel like
watching a suspenseful movie that requires not taking your eyes from the screen to fully grasp the plot.
Thanks for highlighting this unique work!
You're welcome. Thanks for commenting, Belle.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review... this sounds like an intriguing read...you mentioned that the story spans from 1967-2021..that's more than 50 years and since it is just the first book in a series, I wonder if this means that we should expect the next book to take us even further into the future...
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I would like to see those music links. I always listen to music when I read, but this book comes with its own music, which I find very appealing. It also sounds interesting the near-future technological progress. Thanks for naming these things! A precise review!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jaime Lync wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 23:50 Great review... this sounds like an intriguing read...you mentioned that the story spans from 1967-2021..that's more than 50 years and since it is just the first book in a series, I wonder if this means that we should expect the next book to take us even further into the future...
Thank you. Yes, that's the impression I got, though it may fluctuate during different times as this one did.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

InStoree wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 13:26 I would like to see those music links. I always listen to music when I read, but this book comes with its own music, which I find very appealing. It also sounds interesting the near-future technological progress. Thanks for naming these things! A precise review!
You might try visiting the Soup website. You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

well, I love music, and anything music related. I'm going to enjoy reading this book.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ChydeanmahE95 wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 11:26 well, I love music, and anything music related. I'm going to enjoy reading this book.
Sounds like you will enjoy this one. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”