Review by marydaurio -- Insectual by Barbara Sala

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
marydaurio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marydaurio.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by marydaurio -- Insectual by Barbara Sala

Post by marydaurio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Insectual" by Barbara Sala.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are ready for a journey, read INSECTUAL: The Secret of the Black Butterfly, by Barbara Sala. You will travel three continents, but the greatest trip of all will be a journey through the mind of Maya, the protagonist of
INSECTUAL.

Maya is born in Germany just before WWII. She later seeks employment in the politically unstable Congo. There she meets and marries her Italian husband, Lorenzo. Later they end up living in Montreal.

You are immediately drawn into the couple's sexual dysfunction and Maya's lack of joy. She calls her feelings of temptation, guilt, and sex...the "devil." Lorenzo will not stay with her unless she returns to therapy. She does, to keep the family together. She retrieves more than thirty notebooks written by her in the previous seven years of therapy. Seven years! You would think if that didn't help, what hope is there now? Nevertheless, the knowledge that her fears and sadness...the "devil," had hidden from Maya, now demand to escape the cocoon.

As a woman, I identify with Maya's search for truth and meaning. Barbara Sala tells Maya's tale with a sharp edge, artfully bringing to light that which remained long hidden. INSECTUAL is a surprising read, though it is an adult story due to the sensitive subject matter.

Sala could have revealed more about the emotions and feelings Maya called the "devil." The "devil" is mentioned often but remains nebulous at times, with different meanings. The white butterfly that crawls out of Maya's chest, and is her "creative source within," could have been further developed.

The characters are interesting, and Maya's unfolding empowerment remarkable. The historical element adds depth. While the switching from place to place, and from time to time, is occasionally confusing, it does provide relief from the sometimes thick subject matter. It moves the reader on. The artwork at each chapter is enjoyable, and as it is Maya's own, the story is expanded in a visual way. A very sensitive subject is dealt with in a unique and delicately complex way. The book is well edited; I only found one error in spacing. For these reasons I give INSECTUAL: The Secret of the Black Butterfly, 4 out of 4. It is an adult novel to be enjoyed by men and women alike, but I feel women may more acutely identify with the story. Be advised that this novel deals with sex, war, and abuse.

Sala tells Maya's story yet gives very little away as to the true nature of her torment until the closing chapters. Hints are placed in the book, and many I did not understand until I came to the end. It was this keeping of suspense that made the story a true secret, kept from reader and Maya alike. Once all is revealed, then everything comes into focus. Sala's skill in accomplishing this must be admired.

One passage near the end resonated with me, "Forgiveness is one of the noblest qualities. But, to forgive is not an act of one moment. It is an ongoing effort that is like polishing a rough stone to become a diamond." For more of the same, open INSECTUAL: The Secret of the Black Butterfly, and enjoy the trip.

\

Insectual
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like marydaurio's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”