Review by Ttarantelli -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ttarantelli
Currently Reading: A Killer's Mind
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttarantelli.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Ttarantelli -- Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Ttarantelli »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Runaway cows, drunken biker brawls, pink bike get-away vehicles, and homicides...oh my! Darren Burch's collection of short stories, Twisted But True, is filled with amazing, humorous, and twisted stories of his 28 years working in the Phoenix Police Department. Darren Burch began his career helping others long before he started in the police force. As a teenager, he witnessed a terrible car crash that left one young female dead. Darren Burch blamed himself for being unable to assist this girl and the "what ifs" haunted him. It was this harrowing experience that drove him to continue to help others by, first, enlisting in the US Army, then the CIA(well, almost), to finally becoming a police officer in the Phoenix Police Department. It was as an officer in the Crimes Against Children Unit, the Adult Sex Crimes Unit, and the Night Homicide Unit that Burch gained experience and collected the tales for this book.

Do a "ride along" with Burch as he takes the reader on a journey through some of his most memorable, tragic, funny, and stomach-turning adventures of life in the police department. Each chapter tells a gripping tale of daily life inside law enforcement. His stories are filled with unbelievable, page-turning, real life drama that includes gruesome homicides, kooky robberies, grim sex crimes and domestic violence. Readers will be amazed with some of the bizarre and dumb things criminals can do!

I love that Darren Burch has a "Twist" section at the end of each chapter. It offer the reader a little closure for how the drama played out afterwards. Burch also does an excellent job painting a picture of life on the job, as well as showing compassion and remorse for the victims. He often shares personal life stories that relate to his dedication and commitment to protect and serve others. Twisted But True is cleverly written with a nice balance of both humor and seriousness. Burch talks about using humor to help him and his coworkers cope with some to the horrific things they have seen.

I gave Twisted But True, by Darren Burch, 4 out of 4 stars. It is a very well written book that is not always for the faint of heart! There are a few chapters where you definitely do NOT want to be eating or drinking while reading, as it offers very vivid details of some crazy and twisted scenarios. Twisted is a true crime novel that will keep the reader wanting more.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Ttarantelli's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Well done! I also read the book and like you, I admire him for his honesty and compassion to victims.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”