Official Review: As The Flowers Bloom by Cheryl T.Long

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Kelebogile Mbangi
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 145
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: The Values String by Ukpeme Akpan Okon

Official Review: As The Flowers Bloom by Cheryl T.Long

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi » 30 Jan 2019, 00:55

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "As The Flowers Bloom" by Cheryl T.Long.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the Flowers Bloom is a heart-wrenching fictional book about a young girl, Cherish, who is born into a family tainted by generations of abuse. It is written by Cheryl T. Long. It appears to be the first book in a series.

Eight-year-old Cherish Flowers is trafficked by her abusive father, who uses her as a means to make "easy" money. He scares, threatens, and beats her into submitting into the whims of his paedophile clients. Her mother, Liz, is opposed to it all. However, she is powerless to put an end to it. Although a part of Cherish holds her mother accountable for her torment, Liz is the only reason she pushes aside thoughts of suicide. Cherish's only emotional outlet is dancing, which she does in secret. Will she ever be free from the torment, pain, and suffering? Will she ever be the famous dancer she desires to be?

The author's descriptive writing style is engrossing. Her ability to create tension, fear, and captivate her readers is amazing. For example, there is a scene where Cherish hears her drunk father come back home. She cowers under her sheets, hoping that he will direct his anger at some other target. That scene was so well written, and it felt real!

I enjoyed her parents' backstories, which were written from their individual viewpoints. Their horrific pasts give clues to the current dysfunctional lives they lead. The backstories, coupled with the author's descriptive style, created a realistic, believable tale. They also helped set apart As the Flowers Bloom from other abuse tales.

If you are fainthearted, you may want to stay away from this book; it contains narrations of some the abuse Cherish and her mother experience. If you enjoy tragedies though, you may enjoy this book. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. It wasn't my cup of tea, but someone else could enjoy it. It's really easy to read, and can be finished in a single sitting. Sad to say, it could use a round of editing as it contains a lot of spelling and punctuation errors.

As The Flowers Bloom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Feb 2019, 08:24

It sounds like this story is quite intense and emotional. I just can't stand the thought of anyone having to endure that abuse, much less because of one's father. It's despicable. I'm not sure I could handle these strong themes. Thanks for the review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

chewy4uto
2019 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto » 06 Feb 2019, 12:50

Another fictional book about abuse. It's a shame that one writes in fiction about an oh so common problem in today's world. It is always good to bring to the forefront such issues. I guess if it needs to be done through fiction so be it. I hope it does well for you.

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 06 Feb 2019, 13:25

The plot seems captivating. I am interested to discover how Cherish manages to survive the abuse. Too bad the book did not seem to be professionally edited. Nice review!

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Crater's Edge by Lucy Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 06 Feb 2019, 13:37

What a pity the editing was not up to par. This book seems to contain more violence and abuse than I'm willing to stomach. I'll pass. Either way, thanks for the review! :D
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: Angels and Demons
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 07 Feb 2019, 16:39

I definitely do not want to read about the sexual abuse of a child. Good review, though.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”