Review by holsam_87 -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by holsam_87 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne follows a man that deals with grievous pain caused by headaches, and grisly delusions accompany them as well. He hopes that if he acts out the visions in his head, it will lessen those feelings, but unfortunately, they don’t. The killer knows that people will be on the lookout for him since everyone has heard of the murders in the small college town. To create a safeguard for himself, he makes a plan to pin the murders on another man, Dr. Jon Evans, via hypnosis into his mind.

Will he get away with it? What is causing the headaches and dreadful visions in his brain? Can he avoid the urge to kill or will he bring on a full-scale massacre of the co-eds that live on campus? The only way to tell is to read on, you won’t be disappointed.

This is such a different take on a murderer that goes around killing. Most of the time, you don’t know who it is and that causes a level of intensity that comes with thrillers and suspenseful literature. In this thriller, you already know who is killing people, but you get the chance to see how he interacts with other characters and the motivations for his actions early on. It is atypical as it makes the slaughterer seem more human.

The genre for this book is C/T/M/H which is absolutely correct as this is full of suspense and murder. No matter what happened, the suspense kept being boosted throughout the entire story. It wasn’t so much the suspense of whom the killer is, but who will he attack next and what will he do next. Lots of manipulation and interaction with other characters were key in moving the plot along.

Some cautionary things to note are that this book includes a lot of gory moments do to the murders described, there is also rape and strong language. There are also very descriptive situations that could upset people, such as how people are killed and descriptions of illness. If you have visceral reactions to things, then you should steer clear of this book. However, if you can handle these things and want to see this unusual take on a murderer’s mindset, then you should take a look.

I liked getting into the mind of the killer since it was eye-opening and gave an interesting insight into how their motivations come about. Getting their point of view along with the other characters makes it unusual in comparison to other books or series. I read a Murder in Memory very closely and only found a few mistakes. They were a couple of misused words and misspellings. It was not enough to impede my ability to read.

Since this book was so well-written and has a descriptive, rich vocabulary, I give 4 out of 4 stars to Murder in Memory. I found this book to be fun to read, and it was a new take on murder. It made me wonder more about the motivations and psyche of the villains and psychos that have been portrayed in literature and on the big and little screens. It is on these stipulations that I recommend this book and hope that others keep their minds open.

Murder in Memory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like holsam_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I completely identify with the villain about the headaches/migraines. Having them often really can drive you a bit nuts. Add delusional voices chattering at you at the same time and I can only imagine how much worse it would be. Murder mysteries are not really my genre so I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I was immediately intrigued and wanted to know what was causing the killer's headaches and delusions. I'll definitely be reading this book. Great review!
Dayna Frank
Favorite Book: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayna-frank.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dayna Frank »

I agree with your review! This is a very well-written summary of the book. I enjoyed reading this book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”