Review by Itskai88 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Itskai88 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Itskai88 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted threads by Kaylin McFarren as it turns out, is the fourth book in thread series. It comes after Severed Threads, Buried Threads, and Banished Threads. Also, it is a standalone novel. I haven’t read the first three instalments of the book, but it was easy to understand. Twisted threads as the title suggests, is a sultry thriller novel filled with romance, secrecy, and capricious twists. It uses clever dialogue, to keep the readers interested.

The protagonist, Akira deemed herself in a tragic career she wasn’t ecstatic about and wanted out. Akira is a trained assassin for the ruthless Zakura gang in Japan. She is to identify and assassinate the culprit who murdered Keiko, her boss sister. The suspects were a married couple aboard the merry mermaid heading for Florida. Akira's freedom and the safety of her mother depends on the success of the mission. Akira planned to exert her feminine charm on the suspect’s nephew, Devon. As beautiful and intelligent as she was, she expects the plan to work. However, she was unprepared for the twists and turns that were ahead of her.

I like the way the author portrays Akira’s character to some extent. She was delicate and sweet. She met Devon who was stylish and charming with an excellent sense of humour. He made her feel young, free, and innocent - all the things she was trained not to be. The author did a great job in describing how Devon saw Akira, she was an angel in his eyes, and knowing his personality that was acceptable. Their chemistry was in proper structure, and their passion was sizzling. Everything about her fascinated him. I also liked how the author included all the exotic stops that the starship made.

However, at some point in the book, I felt like the story lost its bearing. It became too sappy compared to the way it started, and the pace slowed down a great deal. Sometimes, it felt like two different stories with Akira as a guest character in one of them. The end of the book seemed a bit rushed. I also found some of Devon's reaction towards Akira to be unrealistic. Notwithstanding, the twist and turns were nice. The watcher adds good mystery and surprise.

In general, I rate Twisted threads 3 out of 4 stars, because I think the subplots in the plot were a bit stretched-out and the number of erotic scenes was too numerous and unnecessary. Also, the author did not interpret the Japanese conversations between Akira and Takashi. However, the book was well edited and contain no grammatical errors. Therefore, I would recommend this book to lovers of crime thrillers, and mature audience.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Itskai88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if the strengths of this book are the plot twists and perhaps the setting. I found your insights into the aspects that did not work so well for you interesting.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 05:21 It sounds as if the strengths of this book are the plot twists and perhaps the setting. I found your insights into the aspects that did not work so well for you interesting.
You are right! The settings and all the turns were lovely. Thank you for stopping by.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

Itskai88 wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 17:11
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 05:21 It sounds as if the strengths of this book are the plot twists and perhaps the setting. I found your insights into the aspects that did not work so well for you interesting.
You are right! The settings and all the turns were lovely and unexpected. Thank you for stopping by.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Sounds like a decent crime book, but somehow not my thing. Maybe too unnecessarily sultry? (Not opposed to a bit of the erotic, but I like it when it pushes the plot forward and here it seems like the purpose is to titillate for its own sake?) Plus, I tend to dislike books in which a female character is idolized and also perhaps just a teensy bit underdeveloped?

Thank you for the thoughtful review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

I think Akira is a very bitter character and might be lost in her quest for revenge.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”