Review by Varsha Pathiyil -- Twisted Threads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Varsha Pathiyil
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha-pathiyil.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Varsha Pathiyil -- Twisted Threads

Post by Varsha Pathiyil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A dangerously delicious murder mystery, Twisted Threads is the fourth novel to Kaylin McFarren’s “Threaded” series; following Severed Threads, Buried Threads, and Banished Threads. The words are weaved into a complex yet smooth plot, leaving no threads loose. This wonderfully edited novel is proof that it isn’t always just about knowing beautiful words but also knowing how to use those words, beautifully.

The story revolves around a gorgeous yet deadly female assassin Akira who wants nothing more than to give it all up for a normal life. When she is is given an assignment aboard a ship, which could be her key to freedom, she is oblivious to the air of vengeance surrounding her.

Aboard the Merry Mermaid, she confronts with more than what she bargained for when she falls head over heels for the handsome young Devon Lyons. Their romance is elegantly written, with erotic chemistry and the playfulness of young love. The plot twists and coils as unaccounted deaths and disappearances haunt the cruise leaving the readers struggling to guess the murderer.

This book is definitely a reader’s delight, with a short yet engaging story, perfect as a travel companion. It is exclusive in that the lead female character is the assassin for a change than the cliché “pretty damsel in distress”. The story made me slip into its world, the words making it all the more alive and much easier to envision.

As much as I loved the book and the plot, I felt the story is made more of Devon’s thoughts than Akira’s. Akira, who had initially thought of using Devon merely as an exit strategy, ended up falling for him. Devon’s thoughts and feelings for Akira is exquisitely described but as a reader, I would have loved to know what was going on in Akira’s mind as well. The read would have been interesting to see how a killer came to fall for a man deep enough to even stall her initial mission for a period of time.

While the passionate chemistry between Devon and Akira is well portrayed, a few of the erotic scenes towards the end of the book felt off color and seemed to sway the narrative. That being said, the book is very well edited with no errors, grammatically or otherwise.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as it 3 as it kept me up till 2:00 am till I finished it. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a reader and had to read through the book again, as a reviewer. I highly recommend this book to adults who enjoy romance with a thrill of crime though I wouldn’t recommend it to young readers or those who do not prefer reading erotic literature.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Varsha Pathiyil's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”