Review by pixiestyx -- The Easter Make Believers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
pixiestyx
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiestyx.html
Latest Review: Knowing He's There by Charles Sacchetti
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by pixiestyx -- The Easter Make Believers

Post by pixiestyx » 21 Jan 2019, 01:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Easter Make-Belivers by Finn Bell is an intriguing mystery novel that will draw readers in immediately and have them guessing until the very end. It's a book full of suspense and intense scenes. It's thrilling, entertaining, and one book I was surprised I enjoyed as much as I did.

A seemingly innocent family is being held hostage by a group of men inside their home. The police call in two detectives skilled in handling such a situation, but when it all goes downhill, it's up to these two to uncover the truth behind what happened. Why were some of the biggest gang members in the country holed up in a house in a small town? Why did the father go missing? And why is this case filled with questions that have no answers?

The Easter Make-Belivers will have readers on the edge of their seat at times. I, myself, was curious as to what was really going on. Around the 30 percent mark, maybe 35 percent, I started piecing things together. I thought I maybe had an idea of where the story was going, and I really hoped it would turn out the way I wanted it to. And it did! That ending made me happier than it probably should have. Although, to be honest, the ending was also an emotional one as well.

What I liked about the story was that it held my interest. I felt like I couldn't put it down, even though I knew I needed to. It was definitely a thrill-ride, and I found myself on tenterhooks trying to solve the mystery right along with the detectives. The characters of Nick and Tobe were likeable and relatable. They're easy to root for, and you can tell they're good at their jobs. They just want to keep everyone safe, even when it's not exactly easy to do so.

I think the only thing I disliked, and it wasn't even really a bad thing, was that there were sections in the book written about the oncoming storm. I felt like there wasn't really a need for the storm to have its own chapters. That's really about it. Those chapters didn't detract from the story or make it any less enjoyable, but they weren't exactly necessary.

Another thing that kind of confused me was the title. I wasn't sure what it meant or how it related to the story in any way. The only thing I could put together was that the story takes place right before Easter. As for the "make-belivers" part of the title, there's a scene closer to the end where Nick mentions the term, so I assume that's how it relates.

Overall, The Easter Make-Belivers is a well-written police procedural that fans of drama, mystery, and suspense will enjoy. I would recommend this story to anyone who happens to be a fan of thrilling stories that hook you right from the very beginning. I would not recommend the story to anyone who doesn't like crime fiction, or stories that have murder/violence in them.

I'd rate The Easter Make-Belivers 4 out of 4 stars. While I did notice one or two small issues with punctuation, it in no way took away from the story or bothered me in any way. I would highly recommend it.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pixiestyx's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”