Official Review: Making a Killing by Stefanu Gianca

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Making a Killing by Stefanu Gianca

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Making a Killing" by Stefanu Gianca.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Making a Killing by Stefanu Gianca centers around an organization known as the International Fraud Agency (IFA) that eliminates anyone who is found guilty of financial fraud. Set mostly in Europe, the story is told from the third person perspective.

As the new head of the IFA, Stefanu has big shoes to fill. When he decides to focus on the Lipoma and Tachinidae banking disasters, he finds that billions of dollars had been lost by the government and small shareholders. As he looks further into the issue, he enlists Joop and Jaap to investigate the chairman of the bank, Louis. Meanwhile, Stefanu’s twin brother, Hubert, is being targeted by criminals. As Stefanu juggles between leading his agency and making sure that his brother is safe, the chairman’s wife, Joelle, discovers a few unsavory things about her husband. Will Stefanu be able to take down Louis or will Louis be able to get away with all the crimes he has committed?

I found this book to be very dragging and gave too many details about economics and banking. For the most part, I struggled to keep my interest because I felt like the author told rather than showed what was happening in the book. Some of the sentences were choppy and did not flow well. The plot could have been better if the author hadn’t inserted so much banking terminology and topics about economics. Since it’s listed under C/T/M/H, I expected there to be more mystery and suspense, but there was barely any.

Moreover, I found the characters to be flat and one-dimensional. Although Stefanu is the main character, his character seemed superficial and unrealistic. While his character is intelligent and skillful, he does not grow into a well-rounded character. Although Joelle and her lover, Liliana, managed to scheme their way into obtaining vast amounts of money from various people, their sexual encounters with each other made them seem vapid and obsessive.

Furthermore, I would not recommend this book to younger readers because of the multiple and graphic sex scenes. I also found a couple of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes such as the lack of punctuation marks and improper use of capitalization and commas. The only thing that I liked about this book was that it was a short read, over 200 pages.

Overall, I would rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. It’s listed under C/T/M/H, but there was barely any suspense or mystery. I would not really recommend this book to anyone, but I think that readers who want to know more about the corrupt side of the banking world would be interested in reading this book.

Making a Killing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

Had the book delivered the genre mentioned in the description, the plot could have been interesting. Thanks for an eye-opening review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The graphic content turns me off right away. Then, the fact that it was just overly descriptive with flat characters definitely doesn't make me want to read this. Sorry you had to drudge through this way. I'm skipping it myself.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

I fancy your honesty. I know a thing or two about finance, yet, if your well done review is anything to go by, it's a skip. Good job.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The initial premise sounded good, but it looks like it didn't go anywhere. Thanks for all your hard work and insightful review for this book.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The plot sounds interesting. Too bad it was so badly written.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I think the plot is interesting too bad the author did not seem delivered.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”