Official Review: Saving the Karamazovs by Gary Goldstick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Saving the Karamazovs by Gary Goldstick

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saving the Karamazovs" by Gary Goldstick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Saving the Karamazovs by Gary Goldstick follows Jerry Bascomb as he attempts to save his family's security business. It has been crippled by a scheme concocted under the noses of his two brothers, who lead the company, and Jerry must navigate corporate politics and bank deals to rescue the livelihood of his loved ones. He also has to deal with the drama caused by his relationship with Helen, his brother Jeff's former mistress.

Every character in the book is very deeply flawed, so while it can be hard to root for them at times, their interactions are always interesting, and the narrative is concluded in a satisfying way. This is certainly a book for mature audiences with a lot of life experience and empathy. Otherwise, you're liable to spend most of the book angry at the characters. The constant comparisons between the Bascombs and the Karamazovs, the famous literary family that the title alludes to, become a bit repetitive at times, but they still give the story enough cohesion to keep it together.

It's also notable that the characters are extremely believable. The dialogue is realistic, and the descriptions of the characters' actions do a good job of conveying emotion. Narrative threads are never brought up or resolved by unrealistic or unfounded behavior, which is a personal pet peeve of mine, and everyone's motives are clear enough to understand without destroying all tension.

Unfortunately, this book does have its flaws. Its treatment of minorities is shallow at best - for example, Helen is bisexual only to show that she is sexually promiscuous. One of the people involved in the business, Charlie, is blatantly racist only to make Jeff seem sympathetic for standing up to him. These plot points have little impact on the overall narrative, but they border on insensitive, and they're so cliché that I have to wonder why the author included them at all.

The book's editing is also a bit lacking. There are simple typos that reflect insufficient due diligence or editing; "auf wiedersehen" is spelled as "aufwederzehn," and "boulder" is spelled as "bolder." The book also includes several instances of incorrect hyphenation, capitalization, and punctuation. In general, I was able to overlook most of these errors, but they still detracted from my immersion.

Despite its flaws, I found Saving the Karamazovs to be an enjoyable read, so I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Just from the plot, you should be able to tell whether or not you'll enjoy it as well. It involves a great deal of family drama, as well as some rather in-depth discussion of the intricacies of business operations, so fans of either or both of these themes will be pleased. There are also many sexual themes, so I'd caution against letting younger audiences read this book.

Saving the Karamazovs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The characters sound very interesting. The plot sounds quite dramatic. Thank you for the recommendation!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

The book sounds interesting overlooking the errors that you've mentioned. Great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You did a good job of describing the book - it's plot and it's flaws. Thanks for an interesting review.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

The characters are interesting! I like twisted characters so I think this is for me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Family drama isn't something I gravitate towards. It's also why I probably won't read this one either. Though you do make it sound intriguing. The errors seem to be fairly minor, however, which is a good thing.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

It's sorry to see that the book takes sexuality and racism lightly. I still think I might give it a chance since I love books with flawed characters and complex dynamics. Excellent review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A family drama revolving an attempt of the youngest member of a dysfunctional family to save his family's failing business sounds engaging. Flawed and believable characters, realistic dialogue, and good descriptions add to the appeal. Hopefully, those editing errors were fixed by now. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This book does seem to target a more mature audience that is well-seasoned with life experiences. Thank you for your review.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

The plot sounds a tad too dramatic still i wouldn't mind reading it. You've intrigued me. A wonderfully thorough review. I like mature reads so thanks for mentioning that.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I like that the dialogue is real, but all the errors would make this book hard to read. I will give it pass. Great review though.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

This book involves family drama as well as business-related stuff. However, I do not feel interested in reading it. Thanks for the review!
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This seems like an interesting book. The characters sound good, I'm glad they are all believable.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

Does this vaguely remind anyone else of Arrested Development? Saving the family business from... the family. Deeply flawed characters.
Now that I’ve made this connection, I’m very curious about this book!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but this just doesn't seem like my kind of book, and I don't care to read about Jerry's attempts to "navigate corporate politics and bank deals" in his quest to save the business.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”