Official Review: Find Him! by John B. Michaels

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Find Him! by John B. Michaels

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Find Him!" by John B. Michaels.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John B. Michaels narrates the story of a man on a revenge mission in the novel Find Him! This C/T/M/H work delivers a dark tale with messed up characters.

Ben Greyback lived a wonderful life with his wife and two children until unknown assailants attacked his home. He tried to save his family, but his efforts were futile. Losing his wife and children was painful enough, but watching them die enraged Ben to the point of no return. For five years he lived a solitary life and plotted, waiting for the opportune moment to strike. When he got the chance, he unleashed his wrath on the town and left a trail of dead bodies. The victims' identities revealed some uncomfortable truths and the police had to deal with a serial killer on the loose.

I like that the author presented crime and revenge from the perspective of someone who has nothing to lose. When Ben needed justice for his family, the system failed him. That sheds light on the rot within the police force and amplifies the effects of corruption. Ben's actions aren't excusable, but readers will empathize with him as he battles depression. The story took an interesting turn when Ben confronted the perpetrators of the crimes against his family. These cold-hearted killers showed no remorse, and some of them bragged about harming innocent people. That level of wickedness is difficult to stomach. This story will leave readers pondering whether revenge is a viable option. I concluded that taking the law into one's own hands leaves an individual scarred and empty.

This book was a chore to read, and that is what I didn't like about it. The text contains multiple errors, mostly misspelled words, which appear on almost every sentence. There's also excessive use of the wrong verb form. The author writes in the present tense even when the past tense is more appropriate. That resulted in poorly constructed sentences, which watered down the book's message. Since I had to put in extra effort to decipher the story, some of the gory scenes weren't as gripping. That is ironic because the book belongs to the C/T/M/H genre. It needs time with an experienced editor to elevate it to the masterpiece it could be.

In its current state, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I appreciate that it is short and has a solid plot, but the poor execution drops the rating to 1 out of 4 stars.

Find Him!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
HannahKD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahkd.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by HannahKD »

This book sounds like it could contain interesting themes and pose readers with an intriguing ethical dilemma, were it not for the unfortunate way in which you say it was written! I think I will have to pass this one by, and I thank you for the review to guide my hand in that regard!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Definitely not a feel-good story. Gripping, nonetheless!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The plotting seems nice from your review description. It similar to the movie, "Naked Weapon", Thank you, for the honest review.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This sound interesting and Ben Greyback's character is one that movie producers have established on a lot. Thanks for the review and the warning.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with your analysis. Reading a book with so many errors is definitely a chore. Hope the author will make the effort to fix it. Thanks for your review.
bluedragonsii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedragonsii.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01AZ8ERHI

Post by bluedragonsii »

Sad that another book is ruined by poor editing. The thought of a revenge story is interesting. I like that the novel explores what becoming a vigilante can do to one's conscience. Thank you for your thoughts.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Editing can definitely make or break a story. It seems like it breaks this one. It's too bad because it sounds gripping. I can't imagine what I would do after the death of my family.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

According to the reviewers perspective of the book I am already intrigued. A valid argument comes out of it; when the police force fails, should we take matters into our own hands. It saddens me that this book had poor editing,but it definitely has the makings of a masterpiece.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

Great review - your summary tells me exactly what to expect from this book. While the plot by itself wouldn't interest me (I feel like I've read a few other books with similar storylines), I would give it a shot if the character sketches had something new to offer...
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

It's too bad that it has so many mistakes. It sounds like it could be an intriguing read on revenge and vigilante justice. Thanks for the great review!
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I think more than the editing and writing style, the story and theme is pretty much common.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Sounds like a stereotypical plot that could be enjoyable (I mean, many of us who are drawn to certain genres are looking for that stereotypical aspect to at least some degree!) had it been more competently/professionally edited. That's a shame. Thanks for reading and reviewing. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”