Official Review: PAWN by Barry Katz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: PAWN by Barry Katz

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "PAWN" by Barry Katz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Even though I do know the moves that each chess piece makes, I find it difficult to see potential moves far in advance and strategize, so I'm not fond of actually playing the game. Due to my failings, I also greatly admire those who are adept at real-world chess, the ability to think ahead and come up with a game plan on how they'll accomplish their goals. PAWN, written my Barry Katz, is full of people who have been plotting their long game, and I am still fascinated by it, hours after having finished reading it.

Jim Powers, Jr. has been planning the demise of his father's killers since Jim, Sr. was murdered years ago. The culprits, however, aren't content to just sit back and let Jim come for them. In fact, now they want the money that the older man left to his son. Meanwhile, a scorned woman is making moves of her own in her plan to check the people who have done her wrong. I don’t want to say too much here lest I give away any secrets. With other players on the board, it's anyone's guess who will attack who on their way to victory. There's also the question of just who is a pawn for who.

At its heart, PAWN was a book about revenge, and the revenge seekers played an intricate game that kept me glued to the edge of my seat. Though none of the players were deeply drawn, and I didn't actually like any of them, I was constantly breathless, waiting to find out who would come out on top. Would Jim get his vengeance? Or would he fail in his vendetta? What about the woman who was out for blood; would she be successful in her quest to give as good as she got? I felt that Mr. Katz did a superb job on keeping the suspense going and making me second-guess myself. Heck, I even third, fourth, and fifth-guessed myself! Just when I was sure that one person was walking a certain path or in league with another, I was proven wrong. This tome was so full of twists and turns that I started looking for "Winding Road" and "Sharp Turn Ahead" signs!

The author used clear language, writing plainly and without flourish, in a manner befitting such a book. I was also glad to see only a few grammatical errors, none of them distracting enough to pull me out of the story. There were some loose ends that left me wondering about a few things, but lacking that knowledge did not leave me lost; it was more along the lines of me being curious about a handful of details. The very end blew my mind as well, and I still haven't fully come to terms with it. With all things considered, I am happy to give PAWN 4 out of 4 stars.

This tome contains graphic violence and foul language, so those who don't care for either of these things will not enjoy it. Fans of chess and strategic writing will love it though. I also recommend this book to readers who enjoy revenge tales, not to mention stories that contain a lot of plot twists and changes.

It's been said that the pawn is the weakest chess piece. Well, this PAWN is definitely not the weakest piece in my library, and I really hope that Mr. Katz writes more books of strategic revenge.

PAWN
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the cover; it definitely draws me in. With your summary and so many moving pieces, I'll definitely have to read this one myself. I'm sure plotting revenge would be like a chess game, at least if you want to do it right. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ltbbreviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ltbbreviews »

Loved the review! Can't wait to read.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I do not know anything about chess, however, your review has intrigued me so much that I feel I just have to read this book! The plot sounds phenomenal.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I love how the cover was designed. Although I don't know much about chess, but from your review description, I did want to give it a try. Great review
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting! Pawn always makes the first move, and they can be change to any important character at the end of each barrier. Fascinating! Just as the game plays the play of revenge goes as well. Thank you for your valuable critiques!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Emmanuel samuel

Post by Emmanuel samuel »

facssinating insight...the pawn is'nt always the weakest chess piece i'll agree on that.....much much enlightening
J_Lewis_V
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-lewis-v.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by J_Lewis_V »

Sounds like an entertaining read. I enjoyed your review and will check out this book. Thanks!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review! You successfully moved your readers like pawns. I want to read the ending!! Thanks for an expertly played review.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This is going to be a very intense read, watching everyone make a move and not knowing who will be knocked out will definitely cause a lot of tension. The author must be a very good strategist. Thank you for the excellent review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I know bits and pieces about chess though I am not an expert. The revenge plot sounds very intriguing, especially when more than one person is plotting. Sounds like an amazing read.Can't wait to get to it.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Chess, a game of patience and timing. The cover makes any reader interested in reading the book. I'd love to see if Jim will get his revenge over his father's killers. Good review.
Alvarez14
Currently Reading: Why can't Johnny Just Quit?

Post by Alvarez14 »

This isn’t something that I would typically read. It’s different. However I was interested when I read the review therefore I’m most likely going to read this book. Thank you!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I love the way you open and close this review with a nod to chess and the book’s title. The long game is hard for me too, but I love reading about it in fiction! Thanks for the great review of this one. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”