Official Review: Lowdown by Anthony Schneider

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: Lowdown by Anthony Schneider

Post by rachel_bruhn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lowdown" by Anthony Schneider.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lowdown is a well-written crime novel that merges the Italian mob lifestyle with romance. The story focuses around two main characters, Jimmy and Milena, but shares pieces from other characters as well. Jimmy and Milena are both from Italian families and their paths cross at a "family" gathering. They are immediately smitten with each other. There's only one catch; Milena is married to Vinnie, another member of the mob family. Despite the circumstances, Jimmy and Milena grow their relationship over the next few years behind the scenes. As they are making plans on how to escape together, Mikey Rizzo, part of another mob family, turns snitch and puts the entire mob ring at risk. Milena is forced to flea the country with her husband, while Jimmy is arrested and sentenced to 50 years in prison. Both have given up on a future together, but are unable to push the other out of their minds.

As mentioned previously, the novel is well-written. It is easy to transport yourself to the 1970's and read the dialogue with the infamous Italian accent and swagger. As a female reader, it was easy to connect with Milena's character as she struggles to find herself and follow her heart. Of course you're always pulling for a happy ending in a romance novel, even one entangled with a crime novel. Schneider brings in a lot of Italian words and phrases, but does a good job using context to define them. Despite an unconventional flow, which will be discussed next, I was drawn into the story and wanted to find out if Milena and Jimmy ever do get their happy ending.

The only complaint I have about the book is the flow of the story. The chapters jump from character to character, as well as jumping across time. Some chapters are written about the past, while others are written about the present. Thankfully these changes only occur with a chapter change, so it is still easy to follow the transitions. I don't think this approach detracts from the quality of the novel, it's just not to my taste. Aside from that, I found no flaws in the writing. With just over 300 pages, it's a quick read that does not disappoint.

In my opinion, the focus of this novel is on the romance between the main characters, not the criminal happenings of the Italian mob. For that reason, I wouldn't really recommend this book to anyone seeking a typical "crime" novel or even an Italian mob thriller. The writing style, full of cursing, killing, and sex, does cater to a more mature audience. But again, the details of the criminal activities are limited and at times incomplete. Well perhaps not the audience intended by the author, I would probably recommend this novel more to female readers than males.

Overall, I have no real complaints about Lowdown, other than my own personal preferences. Anthony Schneider did a fantastic job of transporting me to the New York Italian mob lifestyle and provided a pleasant mixture of romance and suspense. I would have to give this book 4 out of 4 stars for the flawless presentation.

Lowdown
View: on Bookshelves

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Journey beyond the jacket.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Well! This is new. A chick lit but not entirely an Italian mafia read as well. This makes me wonder if the author knew what he/she was doing. Thank you for your input!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

It was listed as CMTS, but it was definitely a love story! It was interesting to read about the mob life from a wife's perspective though.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a bit too mature for me, I think. It's just not something I would enjoy reading, but it does strike me as a bit of a Romeo and Juliet story. They love each other, but they can't have each other. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

It does have a Romeo and Juliet feel to it, but it doesn't end with suicides lol
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This sounds like an interesting read. I was hoping it would lean more on romance and the mafia and not just romance. That would not deter me from getting this read though. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Love is a really complicated feeling. More so when it involves three people from a mob family. This feels like an interesting read. Good review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciate that you clarified the emphasis on the romance more than on the criminal activity. Milena is an appealing character. You created just enough mystery in your review to hook readers! Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”