Official Review: The Scopas Factor by Vincent Panettiere

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: The Scopas Factor by Vincent Panettiere

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Scopas Factor" by Vincent Panettiere.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Scopas Factor is a crime thriller by Vincent Panettiere. Chicago detective Hegan and his partner Diane visit the small town of Weedley, where Hegan has an interview for the job of chief of police. While there, they meet some of the town's colourful characters, including Feeney, a detestable firefighter. Feeney has his eye on the beautiful young Kia, daughter of Mos, who runs the local diner, Yum's. During a forest fire, Kia disappears, much to the anguish of her boyfriend, Eric. Later, Hegan and Diane discover the body of Feeney, who has clearly been murdered. Kia is still missing...

Panettiere quickly and deftly characterises Mos's mother, the cloth artist known as "The Mud Woman", at the beginning of the book. Her actions and eccentricities define her beautifully over the first few pages. Similarly, though this book has a large cast of characters, they take on lives and personalities of their own as we progress through the story. The villainous Skeggs is a particularly frightening character. The well-written dialogue also sounds natural and realistic.

I liked the author's writing style, finding it easy and enjoyable to read. When the story moves to the south of France, Panettiere depicts the town of Antibes with ease, demonstrating either genuine local knowledge or thorough research. His solid construction of the setting includes the local markets, food, culture, and samples of the French language, adding real atmosphere to the story. There are also plenty of plot twists and mystery to keep the reader intrigued, with the last puzzle pieces only falling into place right near the end of the book.

Unfortunately, The Scopas Factor has around twenty typographical errors in total; I found ten by halfway through the book. These errors are mainly with punctuation, missing letters, or the use of an incorrect word. There are also a few formatting issues with new paragraphs started unnecessarily, occasionally in the middle of a sentence.

Overall, I found The Scopas Factor an entertaining mystery, rich in detail, with plenty of twists to keep the reader's interest. If not for the errors, I would rate it 4 stars. In its current state, it gets 3 out of 4 stars. Fans of mystery and crime would enjoy this book, especially those who enjoy strong characters and like to read about other cultures. It does contain sex and violence, including gun violence, but neither is depicted in a graphic or gratuitous way.

The Scopas Factor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

The book has an intricate plot. There are twists and turns to keep the reader engaged. Great review overall.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The beauty of this one seems to lie in the town and the characters therein. I do like a good mystery that's set in an interesting place. It sounds like this fits the bill, and I might have to try it despite the errors. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This sounds like an engaging read. Is it difficult to keep up with the plethora of characters?
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a book I'll definitely want to read. The introduction to the review already piqued my interest in this book. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

The book is a definite read for me. The catchy feeling I got reading the review makes me want to read it. Good review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the way you described the mystery in the story. The setting really nailed it for me! I think this one will be worth the time, in spite of the errors. Excellent work, Josh. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 07:12 The book has an intricate plot. There are twists and turns to keep the reader engaged. Great review overall.
Thanks! This book was indeed well plotted and entertaining.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 09:07 The beauty of this one seems to lie in the town and the characters therein. I do like a good mystery that's set in an interesting place. It sounds like this fits the bill, and I might have to try it despite the errors. Thanks for the review.
Thanks. The setting of this one really came alive, especially in France. Very nicely done.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Jessacardinal wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:13 This sounds like an engaging read. Is it difficult to keep up with the plethora of characters?
The cast of characters was quite large, but it became easier once I got to know them. A great plot and setting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

T_stone wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 16:46 This is a book I'll definitely want to read. The introduction to the review already piqued my interest in this book. Thanks for the review.
Yeah, I liked the idea of the young girl kidnapped during a forest fire. Seemed very original to me. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Willy 1 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 02:45 The book is a definite read for me. The catchy feeling I got reading the review makes me want to read it. Good review.
Thanks. Definitely a great setting and an engaging plot. Well worth a read.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 22:14 I enjoyed the way you described the mystery in the story. The setting really nailed it for me! I think this one will be worth the time, in spite of the errors. Excellent work, Josh. Thanks.
Thank you - much appreciated! If you like mysteries and learning about other cultures, you should enjoy this one.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

The characters in this book are quite interesting and i also like the plot but i am hoping it is a happy ending for Kai and her loved ones because in as much as i like mysteries, i like happy endings the most. Thanks for the lovely review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This sounds like a crime thriller I would enjoy. The beginning of this review alone keeps me wanting more. Thanks for the interesting review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”