Official Review: Almost Mortal by Christopher Leibig

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Almost Mortal by Christopher Leibig

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Almost Mortal" by Christopher Leibig.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Almost Mortal by Christopher Leibig is a crime/mystery story that revolves around Samson "Sam" Young, a criminal defense attorney in Bennet County, Virginia. Sam occasionally worked off the books helping people with legal problems. So, it wasn't a hard decision to make when he agreed to help his late mother's friends, Camille Paradisi and Father Andrada, on the Rosslyn Ripper case.

The Rosslyn Ripper was a serial killer on the loose who had been involved with 3 murders. Someone confessed to Father Andrada at the church about being the Rosslyn Ripper. Father Andrada had to make a decision between reporting the person and adhering to the clergy-pertinent privilege. Sam had to carry out a private investigation into the case to protect Father Andrada. Simultaneously, someone (I'll use "X" to avoid any spoilers) suspected to be the Rosslyn Ripper was sending pages of a journal to the church, which Camille forwarded to Sam to help with his investigation. The journal contained X's life stories. Sam discovered that he was similar to X in many ways, and as he continued to read, things became clearer.

I look at Almost Mortal as two different stories that are related. The first being Sam's story, and the second being X's story. While I really enjoyed reading both stories, I felt like the second story outshone the first in many ways. The stories in the journal had more adventure and mystery about them. The writing styles in both stories are very different as if they were really written by two different people. The stories in the journal used a more detailed writing style. It was like I was right there as X adventured through Bariloche, Argentina, to Havana, Cuba, then, to Miami, U.S.A. There were also points where thought-provoking questions about God were raised in the journal.

Reading Sam's story as he investigated the Rosslyn Ripper case was interesting, as I tried to pick up on clues the author gave. However, I found the clues small in number and inconclusive, and I wasn't able to figure out who the Ripper was before the end. Christopher focused more on developing the plot than the characters, but he did an awesome job on Sam's character. Sam was very relatable. He lost both parents at a very young age, and it influenced him in so many ways, including his work helping people, his lack of faith in God, and his drinking and smoking habits. Initially, I wished the author had put more into the development of some of the other characters. However, I later realized that knowing more about some characters would have taken away from the mystery part of the story.

Almost Mortal is well edited and well organized. The author moved between the two stories in a way that didn't get me confused at any time. I only found two minor errors throughout the book, which was impressive because I put a lot of effort into seeking out errors. There wasn't much to dislike about this book. I would have liked more suspense in the story, and the ending didn't quite match my expectations.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Almost Mortal. It is definitely a book that I would go back to reading again. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The lack of suspense and the book's ending made it less perfect for me, but the execution of the overall story deserves more than a 2-star rating. I would recommend this book to fans of crime and mystery stories. There was also an element of romance, but I'm not sure it's enough for romance fans to enjoy this book. The sex scenes in the novel, while not very descriptive, mean that I would not recommend this book to a younger audience.

Almost Mortal
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

When I finished this book i felt like I wasted my time because the author came up with a bizarre twist that was WAY out there. It could have been a good book though.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting. Almost two different stories in one book and both of them written so differently? Odd. Still, it sounds like something worth looking into for sure. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I appreciate unpredictable books. I would normally be concerned about two separate stories taking away from the overall story, but it sounds like this one was well done.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This looks like a book I'll enjoy reading but the lack of suspense will make me cross my fingers for this one, however, this is well constructed review. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Seems like a very interesting book. I'll surely get to read it someday. Good review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a story that would interest me. I like writing that keeps you thinking and that doesn't reveal the antagonist too easily. This author seems like he does a good job of keeping the reader's interest Thanks for your insightful review.
Casper1622
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Casper1622 »

This isn’t my kind of book really. The only thing that would have made it a bit manageable would have been suspense, which it lacks. I think I’ll pass on this one. Nice review though.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This sounds interesting, even the name Rosslyn Ripper is intriguing. It also seems like a game of cat and mouse. Thank you so much for the awesome review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The read sounds pretty intriguing to me. I would love to see how it pans out. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A legal thriller revolving around a Virginia public defender with psychic abilities who tries to catch a serial murder sounds exciting. Interesting that the two story lines are so different. Too bad about the lack of suspense and the weak ending. At least it was well edited. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Looks like an interesting read! Why were people claiming to be this serial murderer if they were not? Are the two stories connected?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

A crime-mystery thriller with a serial killer and a gifted protagonist, this is a book I fully intend to read. I also like a well edited book Thanks for turning me to the book with this excellent review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I like how there are two interconnected stories. While thrillers are mostly plot-driven,it is good to know the author emphasises the protagonist's character. Thanks for the awesome review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Bright Side of Going Dark
Bookshelf Size: 2390
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love a good mystery! I would usually dismiss a book that overlooks character development but you make a very good case when you say that the main character is well-developed and that it was necessary to protect some character's identity to keep the mystery.
A great, compelling review, thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”