Official Review: control Room by Mike Miller Jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: Heart of anger
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: control Room by Mike Miller Jr.

Official Review: control Room by Mike Miller Jr.

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 09 Jan 2019, 13:40

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "control Room" by Mike Miller Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A hair-bending, end-of-the-world style adventure awaits you when you pick up Control Room by Mike Miller, Jr. Alisa Bellsong is an archaeologist working on an ancient Nazca ruin when she makes the discovery of a lifetime. Actually, it's the only discovery that matters since people began making discoveries. Hidden down in the depths of the earth, underneath the foundation of a ruined Nazca temple site lies an impossibility. A decision is made to keep it secret. Top level confidentiality protocols are invoked, and no one working with any part of the project to discover what "it" is can tell any other person on the project what they are doing.

When two top scientists go missing hours before a top level briefing, Dr. Jake Pendleton is brought in to solve the mysteries. Who kidnapped the scientists? Why were the scientists abducted? Where are they? Who is the project's mole? What is this thing, anyway? What does it do? The answers that start coming are breathtaking in significance. "It" is activated. "It" is going to be bad.

From the book's preface, I thought this was going to be primarily an alien story. As I disagreed philosophically with the author's theories, I set myself up for some disappointment. Thankfully, my disappointment was disappointed! The alien background was basically a premise on which the adventure hung. The novel itself was quite enjoyable on its own merit.

I could not put Control Room down. Being an Indiana Jones fan may have helped, since it almost felt as though I were reading the story line for the next movie in the series. It was fast-paced almost from the very start, and I never felt bogged down by necessary supporting details. Even though I did not understand all of the scientific potentialities that were presented, I never felt as though this were a hindrance to my enjoyment. I sort of felt that the author merged the sci-fi with the adventure novel. In my opinion, a good sci-fi novel has enough details to set the story and make it believable, but not so many that my head goes spinning! I felt that the author did a good job of balancing the sci-fi and adventure genres.

Throughout the story, the characters were definitely larger than life. I appreciated that they were not presented as "perfect," instead having relatable flaws. I also enjoyed the romances as they unfolded. It was nice to see characters overcome personal doubts to pursue a meaningful relationship with someone they liked to be with. The author did a great job of including a wide variety of characters ranging from a grownup high school jock to a boy genius. Of course, it didn't hurt that the main character was described as being stunning.

Overall, I found very little to complain about when it came to editing. I give kudos to the author for having someone edit the book so well. I also give kudos to the author for setting up what could have been a steamy romance, but keeping it all to the imagination rather than detailing out intimate scenes. Between the well-drawn characters, an engaging plot, the fast pace, and clean editing, I am pleased to rate this 4 out of 4 stars.

control Room
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Time Shot by R.K. Johnson

Post by teacherjh » 11 Jan 2019, 11:38

I love sci-fi and adventure. This sounds like a great read.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 7
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Jessacardinal » 11 Jan 2019, 18:49

This sounds like a suspenseful page-turner. I will keep it in mind.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: These High, Green Hills
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: corporate house by Columbus daniel

Post by kdstrack » 11 Jan 2019, 21:47

This sounds great. The story line and the excellent editing are attracting me to this book. Thanks for the excellent review. I would like to try this one.

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by nonamer_miss » 11 Jan 2019, 23:10

I'm not really into sci - fi books but your review made this book interesting! You made me curious what "it" could possibly be.

SamSim
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 12 Jan 2019, 09:17

Sci-fi, ancient history, and a secret "impossibility"? I'm hooked. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Darlynn_Tebogo
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo » 12 Jan 2019, 13:36

What is "it" ????? I so desperately want to find out what "it" is that I'll give the book a go. Thanks for the recommendation.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Jan 2019, 18:18

This sounds like a book that's right up my alley. I love sci fi, and I was glad to hear it wasn't necessarily all about aliens. I'll have to try this one with such a great recommendation. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: Heart of anger
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: control Room by Mike Miller Jr.

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 12 Jan 2019, 20:01

kandscreeley wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 18:18
This sounds like a book that's right up my alley. I love sci fi, and I was glad to hear it wasn't necessarily all about aliens. I'll have to try this one with such a great recommendation. Thanks.
You’re welcome 😊
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: White Jaguar by Preben Orman

Post by Onyinye Excel » 13 Jan 2019, 06:39

I'm glad that the charters were not presented as 'perfect' but had relatable flaws.The author's style is quite impressive.Maybe I'll check this one up.

Chrystal Oaks
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 20 Jan 2019, 23:34

This sounds like a book I want to read; sci-fi, mystery, adventure, and a little romance without the intimate details. Thank you for the awesome review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”