Official Review: The Date Farm by jack winnick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: The Date Farm by jack winnick

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Date Farm" by jack winnick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Date Farm by Jack Winnick is an action thriller based on terrorist acts committed by Islamic extremists. On a Saturday evening in Beverly Hills, ten black-clad terrorists enter a shopping mall hosting an after-hours rave for young people. After spreading out across multiple levels, they set off gas grenades to incapacitate and disorient the crowds. Shortly after, they begin firing at people using automatic weapons. Following five minutes of carnage, they all use pistols to commit suicide. The death toll starts at forty-eight confirmed dead. Newlyweds Uri Levin, from Israel's Mossad, and his FBI wife Lara, now an "Adjunct Agent" for Mossad, are on vacation in Ohio with Lara's family when they get the call about the shopping mall massacre. They jump on a flight to join the investigation. By the time they arrive, the death toll has risen to fifty-eight, with one hundred and twenty-five wounded, not counting the ten terrorists...

Winnick's plot moves quickly, which is essential in an action thriller. The first terrorist attack occurs right at the start of the book, after which Uri and Lara receive the news and quickly arrive in Los Angeles to visit the scene. The story never lags, always moving forward at speed. There are some quieter parts during periods of travel and transport but Winnick deals with these deftly, avoiding unnecessary details about the mundane. These occasional "breathers" help to break up the action nicely.

Winnick describes his incidental characters simply, letting their behaviour flesh them out as the story progresses. A brief physical description is the only interruption to the story. Also, he reveals most of the key plot points as they happen, without unnecessary foreshadowing. This keeps things interesting for the reader with a number of twists and surprises. Though we do spend some time with the terrorists, we often only learn of new developments as they occur.

The negatives in The Date Farm are all minor. There are several typographical errors, including the unnecessary hyphenation of words such as "news-people" and "night-stand". Incorrect words are occasionally used, such as "repel" for "rappel", "sites" for "sights", and "accommodated" for "acclimatised". Also, I thought one piece of description: "a shower of blood and what used to be brains" would be stronger as simply "a shower of blood and brains". Further, two of the Homeland Security team leaders are named Miles Trowbridge and Mike Toghiani. Though secondary characters, it is more difficult to keep them separate - initially, at least - when both have the initials M.T.

Overall, The Date Farm is a solid, compelling action thriller which I read in just two days. The fast-paced plot has plenty of twists to keep action fans on their toes. Anyone with an interest in terrorism and the current political climate in the Middle East would enjoy this book. It does contain strong violence, however, not suited to those who find shootings and bombings especially disturbing. Without the minor errors I mentioned, it would be a 4-star book. Currently, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This actually sounds quite realistic which makes me wonder if it would be too much for me to read. I'm glad it's full of action, though. That would definitely keep me engaged. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

This book sounds like a genuine intrigue. From what I've read about the storyline, the book would make a great movie.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like stories with plenty plot twist; it makes me very engaged when reading. Its fast pace will make me enjoy reading it. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
SirKayPAUL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SirKayPAUL »

This book sounds like a genuine intrigue. From what I've read about the storyline, the book would make a great movie.

I like stories with plenty plot.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I've heard so much about terrorists and Islamic extremists. I'm eager to read this book.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of the pace of the book. Your comments make me think this might be a quick read. Thanks for your interesting and compelling writing. Great review!
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I don't really like war and terrorists so I'm passing on this. Thanks for the review tho.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This book mirrors the reality of the world we live in today. I would be more interested in reading something like this if it had never actually happened before.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 18:40 This actually sounds quite realistic which makes me wonder if it would be too much for me to read. I'm glad it's full of action, though. That would definitely keep me engaged. Thanks.
A very engaging and well-written action thriller. Highly entertaining. Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 02:43 This book sounds like a genuine intrigue. From what I've read about the storyline, the book would make a great movie.
Yeah, I think they could make a really powerful action movie from this book. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

T_stone wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 02:57 I like stories with plenty plot twist; it makes me very engaged when reading. Its fast pace will make me enjoy reading it. Thanks for the review
Thanks. This book is certainly fast-paced entertainment. A great read.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

SirKayPAUL wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 03:03 This book sounds like a genuine intrigue. From what I've read about the storyline, the book would make a great movie.

I like stories with plenty plot.
Absolutely. Definitely movie material. Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 06:21 I've heard so much about terrorists and Islamic extremists. I'm eager to read this book.
Terrorism is a certainly topical in today's world. A solid thriller. Thanks for commenting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 20:00 I enjoyed your description of the pace of the book. Your comments make me think this might be a quick read. Thanks for your interesting and compelling writing. Great review!
Thanks! This definitely is a page-turner. It kept me reading all the way through.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”