Official Review: Life Bewitched by Pin Osuji

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Life Bewitched by Pin Osuji

Post by Vscholz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Bewitched" by Pin Osuji.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When his wife becomes involved with a cult that practices black magic, Pin loses his job and his family. Unfortunately, he meets another man in a similar situation. He creates an anti-black magic kit to help solve his problems, but he ultimately needs the help of the White Witch.

Pin Osuji's Life Bewitched is a memoir and cautionary tale filled with magic, both light and dark. It is also a story of love because he does everything he can to restore his family and his business. His journey to find the White Witch shows the lengths people will go when their loved ones are in trouble. He seeks to learn everything he can to reverse the curse placed upon his family, even when it seems hopeless.

Pin's story is bookended between two educational chapters. The first chapter introduces different types of witchcraft, including light and dark magic. He carefully explains that many stereotypes of witches are not accurate and that not all witches worship the Devil. Not all of the information in this chapter is relevant to his journey, but he includes it show the different types of magic. His depiction of witches is balanced, showing both the negative aspects with the cult and the positive aspects with the White Witch. The concluding chapter describes the prejudices witches face and gives historical information, creating a connection to the introduction.

There were several errors I found throughout the book, most notably the change from having a son and daughter to having two daughters. The author states that he has a son in the second chapter, but he refers to his children as “daughters” for the remainder of the book. It is unclear if the son suddenly identifies as female; if that is the case, Osuji should clearly state it. I also had a slight problem with the mention of voodoo but not hoodoo, which is typically portrayed as voodoo in the media. However, this omission could be due to lack of knowledge and easily dismissed by those who are not aware of the differences.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The inconsistency with the children's genders bothered me the most, and there were several other punctuation and grammar issues. Some of the errors might be the result of language differences or translation issues, but I would rate this book higher after at least one more thorough round of editing. I would recommend this book to those interested in the history and effects of witchcraft or those seeking more information than just the American view.

Life Bewitched
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The inconsistencies sound irksome, however, as a fan of paranormal stories, I might overlook them. This book seems a good choice for me. Great review!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 06:47 The inconsistencies sound irksome, however, as a fan of paranormal stories, I might overlook them. This book seems a good choice for me. Great review!
It is certainly interesting. I don't know much about spirituality outside of the US (except the little I have picked up from visits to Louisiana, which prompted some research on my part), but what I did know helped me better understand.

I hope you enjoy it!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Ooh, major plot hole, not knowing the sex of your children! Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I'd be interested to read a book and learn a bit about witchcraft at the same time. Mistaking a son for a daughter is a pretty basic error though! I enjoyed your review :)
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Helen_Combe wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 09:28 Ooh, major plot hole, not knowing the sex of your children! Great review.
I went back several times to make sure I didn't misunderstand or misremember. Perhaps there is more to the story... either transgender or the son passed away and they had a second daughter. Thanks for commenting!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Julie Green wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 11:52 I'd be interested to read a book and learn a bit about witchcraft at the same time. Mistaking a son for a daughter is a pretty basic error though! I enjoyed your review :)
Luckily, it was only one instance of a son and the author didn't flip back and forth.

I wasn't surprised at the journey, going from being ambivalent to fully believing. I think it is a common experience.

Thanks for stopping by!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

It sounds kinda interesting. I adore fantasy books and i hope would love this too.
Thanks a lot for the review ☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds both entertaining and informative as long as one can overlook the voodoo/hoodoo thing. It's not really a subject that would interest me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 08:37 This sounds both entertaining and informative as long as one can overlook the voodoo/hoodoo thing. It's not really a subject that would interest me. Thanks, though.
I think people who don't know the difference wouldn't mind, but it does perpetuate incorrect information. Thanks for coming by!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Zimall wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 04:31 It sounds kinda interesting. I adore fantasy books and i hope would love this too.
Thanks a lot for the review ☺
It is a quick read. I recommend you try it! Thanks for the comment!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Definitely going on my TBR shelf. I'll be very interested to see if he actually got his facts straight about witchcraft. I've found that few authors manage it. I really like that he gives a balanced view of it. I've also always been fascinated with "cult" and "occult" books!! The bit about hoodoo and voodoo will be a bit irksome as I actually AM from Louisiana, but I will try my best to overlook it. Sounds like a great read, thanks for the review!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Good job on spotting the "transforming" child. I enjoyed your comments on this book, but these are not themes that interest me. Thanks for a great review.
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 17:04 Good job on spotting the "transforming" child. I enjoyed your comments on this book, but these are not themes that interest me. Thanks for a great review.
It certainly isn't for everyone, so I understand your decision. Thanks for stopping by!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Kelyn wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 14:58 Definitely going on my TBR shelf. I'll be very interested to see if he actually got his facts straight about witchcraft. I've found that few authors manage it. I really like that he gives a balanced view of it. I've also always been fascinated with "cult" and "occult" books!! The bit about hoodoo and voodoo will be a bit irksome as I actually AM from Louisiana, but I will try my best to overlook it. Sounds like a great read, thanks for the review!!
I don't know much aside from what I've seen in documentaries, but the practices here seem more like what I understand hoodoo to be (which is what the media portrays voodoo to be). I've been to NOLA a few times and the whole culture is fascinating. Thanks for coming by! I hope you enjoy the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”