Official Review: Redbone by Jimmie N. Barnes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Official Review: Redbone by Jimmie N. Barnes

Post by Quinto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Redbone" by Jimmie N. Barnes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lewis Augustus Jones was killed when Pat was only seven. He was trying to break a wild mustang that was just too wild. This meant Lewis Patrick Jones (Pat) became the man of the house all too soon. Nevertheless, with the help of Sheriff Joshua Trinton, he still got to be a boy, too. The sheriff was a kind man to a friend and to town folk, but to rustlers, thieves, and gunslingers of the old Tucson and Yuma era, he was a mountain of a man. Hard as nails and lightning fast with that old Peacemaker. He stood six-foot-three, a solid two hundred pounds of mean when you broke the law or messed with his own.

Redbone by Jimmie N. Barnes evokes deep emotions in the reader. One is moved by the heroic sacrifice, yearning for freedom, justice, a bit of romance and immuration contained therein. I was pulled in right from the title and the prologue, where a U.S. marshal of a neighboring town to Sheriff Trinton's, finds himself face to face with the full wrath of the subject of an urban legend. Indeed, this storyline will rope in four other lawmen from different towns and at different time periods.

Tim, Pat's grandson and who is looking for a lucky break as a writer, is the protagonist in the story. He and his girlfriend, Sally, have found themselves with the unenviable task of discovering the legend. Tim's disposition allows him to be the right man for the job. He is discreet and rapt and doesn't mix business and pleasure. Sally, on the other hand, represents his gaiety. Through her, he is also able to see perspectives that were not apparent to him before, like employing a different method of tracking the bearer of the legend.

The author, Jimmie, has created stories and characters all throughout his school years. His long experience may perhaps account for the effective way he has dealt with pacing in his novel. Being even and consistent, sometimes the story slows down, for example, when James, Pat's childhood friend and blood brother, narrates to Tim how it was like growing up with his grandfather, and what it even means to be a blood brother. And yet at others, the confrontation between good and evil, for instance, makes the story fast-paced.

Jimmie's writing style is from the heart. It reflects his passion in his subject matter. I could sense his personality right to his religious slant. His work is animated, relaxed and sharp. Additionally, the story is majorly composed of dialogue (narrated by James to Tim), and conflict and confrontation supply the narrative tension that kept the story compelling.

In conclusion, this is an exemplary piece of work. The editing appeared professionally done. I only came across one missing word, a homophone error and a typo. I recommend the novel to Western fiction enthusiasts and to those who like doomsday style narratives. The violence and witchery therein also call for a mature reader. Conversely, those who dislike any amount of horror in their stories may find it a little bit unsuitable to them. For the above compelling reasons, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Redbone
View: on Bookshelves

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a bit of a blend of genres. Sadly, I don't think it's something I would enjoy, even though it seems quite well done. I'm also not sure about the religious slant of the work. Thanks anyway, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 11:25 This sounds like a bit of a blend of genres. Sadly, I don't think it's something I would enjoy, even though it seems quite well done. I'm also not sure about the religious slant of the work. Thanks anyway, though.
I agree with you on the genres. I detected Fantasy, for example, other than C/T/M/H genre. Thanks for your kind comments.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

You had me until the part about violence, witchery and horror. I can be quite sensitive so I guess I'll have to pass. I'm glad you found the book compelling. I enjoyed your review. Thank you :D
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a book I'd find interesting to read. Although the book has some violence
and sensibility in it, I don't think that will stop me from enjoying this book. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Ever_Reading wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 03:05 You had me until the part about violence, witchery and horror. I can be quite sensitive so I guess I'll have to pass. I'm glad you found the book compelling. I enjoyed your review. Thank you :D
Thanks for your kind comments, Ever_Reading.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

T_stone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 19:00 This is a book I'd find interesting to read. Although the book has some violence
and sensibility in it, I don't think that will stop me from enjoying this book. Thanks for the review.
I agree with you T_stone. The overriding good would make it a compelling read. Thanks for the kind comments.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

T_stone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 19:00 This is a book I'd find interesting to read. Although the book has some violence
*sensitivity*
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Your description of the Sheriff is compelling. I want to read this book to find out more.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Why the title - Redbone? Was there something about bones in the book?
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I'm not the biggest fan of the Western genre, but it sounds like this piece has a good amount of horror and mystery to it that I can still enjoy it. Thank you for the thorough review; I'll add this to my list.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 07:58 Your description of the Sheriff is compelling. I want to read this book to find out more.
Thanks, Sweet Psamy. The Lawmen were the key attraction in this novel. Thanks for your kind comments.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 07:25 Why the title - Redbone? Was there something about bones in the book?
Haa haa, Onyinye Excel. It has to do with the legend. You just got to read to find out otherwise I will remove the joy of discovering for yourself. Thanks for stopping by.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 11:43 I'm not the biggest fan of the Western genre, but it sounds like this piece has a good amount of horror and mystery to it that I can still enjoy it. Thank you for the thorough review; I'll add this to my list.
Thanks, AnnaKathleen for your kind comments.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”