Official Review: Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hologram Deception" by Ed Sheehan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan is a mystery thriller. The book presents the main character, Pat O’Sheen, as someone suffering from amnesia. Pat can’t remember what he did to make people want to try to kill him. As he flees from his pursuers, he reconnects with different people from his past. Memories slowly begin to resurface as friends help him recall names and events. Pat made a special effort to visit Sadie, who was languishing in a hospice. As he was mentally preparing himself to say goodbye, she awakened from her coma. Something mystical happened between them that brought back all of Pat’s memories.

Not all of his memories are happy. Frightful visions of being kidnapped and drugged came flooding back. He remembers risking his life to stop a shipment of hologram belts from reaching the Taliban. Before he could stop the second shipment, he was kidnapped. The enemy received these belts and used them to kill American soldiers. Pat feels compelled to finish his mission. He must stop any future production of these belts. Who can Pat trust to help him with this critical mission? Can he trust his own newly recovered memories?

Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan is the second book of a trilogy. The author’s technique of depicting the main character as a person suffering from amnesia was critical to the storyline. Readers become aware of past events and names at the same time as the main character remembers them. Pat’s amnesia was a creative scenario to help readers review book one of the series. The author weaved memories from the past with current events to make this an excellent standalone book.

I also enjoyed Pat’s character and how his personality developed throughout this thriller. Pat has amazing soldier skills, but he also demonstrates a tender and loving side of his personality. I loved how the author presented Pat as a trained soldier capable of firing a weapon to protect the innocent and using those same hands to cuddle and hug children and family.

I had a hard time adjusting to the use of bold lettering in the text. Frequently, the speaker’s words were printed in bold to provide added force to their meaning. I understand the author’s intent, but I found this to be jarring.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Misspelled words and missing commas affected the score. The idea of using holograms in war situations is unique. I liked the author’s writing style, and I am excited to read the third book of the series. The author has piqued my interest to discover how he develops the hologram technology and its military applications in the next book.

People who enjoy suspense stories featuring strong masculine characters will like this story. The author’s research and ideas on the use of hologram technology would also enthuse people with scientific and technological interests. The story does include violent scenes as Pat flees from his pursuers and executes extraordinary feats to protect his family and serve his country. Readers who dislike violent scenes might not enjoy some sections of this book.

Hologram Deception
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm kind of feeling like amnesia has been overdone. However, it still sounds like an interesting story. I especially like the addition of the hologram technology. I think it's one I might have to try even despite the errors. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 11:19 I'm kind of feeling like amnesia has been overdone. However, it still sounds like an interesting story. I especially like the addition of the hologram technology. I think it's one I might have to try even despite the errors. Thanks for the review.
Well, I agree with you on that. However, I thought it worked really well to help readers know what had happened previously in the series. The whole aspect of converting holograms into a military application was fascinating! Hope you enjoy it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love sci-fi, so the hologram aspect sounds intriguing. It sounds like a good action mystery.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

teacherjh wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 11:41 I love sci-fi, so the hologram aspect sounds intriguing. It sounds like a good action mystery.
This theme caught my attention also. I would love to see this series as a movie! Thanks for commenting.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The military application of hologram technology seems fascinating. This drew my attention to the book.

Thank you for the great review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kajori50 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 15:59 The military application of hologram technology seems fascinating. This drew my attention to the book.

Thank you for the great review.
That really intrigued me too. I had never imagined holograms going in that direction. The author's ideas are quite interesting. Thanks for commenting.
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

I had a hard time adjusting to the use of bold lettering in the text. Frequently, the speaker’s words were printed in bold to provide added force to their meaning. I understand the author’s intent, but I found this to be jarring.
I can understand how this is making you feel. I too have had trouble with equally formatted books of this kind. However, the story is worth it. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

esthersamone wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 06:29
I can understand how this is making you feel. I too have had trouble with equally formatted books of this kind. However, the story is worth it. Thanks for the review.
I agree. This story was worth it! Thanks for stopping by.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Hologram is a new thing for me. And this book is seemingly interesting. So that will add this book to my TBR shelf. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This sci-fi story sounds interesting. The hologram tech will make this story appealing to lovers of sci-fi stories. I'm definitely going to add this to my TBR list. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Holorgram technology is an interesting addition to the amnesia storyline. Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Pat'so ordeals are quite exceptional.What happened after he get back his memory. This author sounds refreshing. Amazing review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The idea of hologram is quite interesting and unique. But sad to hear about poor editing. I enjoyed your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This one sounds tense and dramatic. I like that Sheehan used the amnesia to make sure the book could stand alone. I find it heavy-handed when a book in a series has too much "tell" and no "show" in order to bring the reader up to speed. It sounds like references to the previous book are feathered in nicely. Thanks for the thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”