Review by Jsovermyer -- The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Currently Reading: The Golden Window
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Undead as a Doornail by William F. Aicher

Review by Jsovermyer -- The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by Jsovermyer » 02 Jan 2019, 23:15

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Face of Fear" by R. J. Torbert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel, by R. J. Torbert, starts with the kidnapping of Deborah, the daughter of millionaire William Lance. As the police investigate, the action escalates into murder. This is a bone-chilling and action-packed story. The murderer wears the Ghost Face mask made famous in the horror film, Scream. The quiet community of Belle Terre, a village in Long Island, New York, becomes overrun with reporters and the public is afraid. Will the Ghost Face killer strike again? Who will be the next victim?

This mystery story kept me guessing. I correctly deduced who was involved in the kidnapping and thought that I had it all figured out. But then the murders start and I was completely baffled as to who was behind the Ghost Face mask. The ending was a surprise to me. When the mystery is hard to solve, that is the sign of a well-written story. There are clues throughout the book and the attentive reader may be able to solve the mystery.

There are many characters in this story, but they are all well developed. All of the characters are described as real people with both good and bad personality traits. I especially liked how well the author portrayed his characters because it allowed all of them to be possible suspects in the murders. I began to question and doubt even the people who were at first seen as the good guys. Some of the best characters are Chief of Police Cronin, Detective Paul Powers, and Rachelle Robinson, reporter of the local newspaper. My favorite character in the story was Detective Bud Johnson, Paul’s partner. He is funny and provides some comic relief. But also, he is extremely intelligent, a caring person, and a good policeman. Bud was a character that I would like to have as a friend.

My only criticism of the book is that it has a lot of details and is slightly long at 455 pages. The details or clues must be followed carefully to solve the kidnapping and the murders. This was fascinating to me that the author wrote the story so carefully. The mystery can be solved if you pay close attention. This book is a mystery enthusiast’s dream.

The book ends with the Author’s Note which gives praise to the Suffolk County Police Department in Long Island, New York, which was portrayed in this novel. The Suffolk County Police Memorial Fund has been set up to help the families of the police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty. Five percent of the author’s profits from this book are being donated to this fund. There is a list of the officers that have died in that department. The author encourages the reader to also make a donation to this fund or to the police department in their area.

This story is thrilling, suspenseful, romantic and filled with colorful characters. There were a few grammatical errors, but they didn’t distract from the action of the story. I really liked this story and thought that it was one of the best books that I have read this year. Any mystery, that keeps me guessing until the end, is a winner to me. I am giving this book, The Face of Fear, 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the mystery or thriller genre. This book would not be appropriate for young children or for anyone who is squeamish due to the graphic description of the murders.

The Face of Fear
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jsovermyer's review? Post a comment saying so!

Samisah
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Samisah » 03 Jan 2019, 09:55

A beautiful review! As I said on a other platform, books that bother on crime, mystery and horror are my favourites.

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 330
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Anthony__ » 03 Jan 2019, 21:12

The fact that the book is well written with clueless thoughts of who the actual murderer is made it intriguing to read. I totally agree with jsoyvermayer's review of 4 out of 4 box tick. Awesome review!

Itskai88
2019 Reading Goal: 61
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 » 04 Jan 2019, 09:48

crime books although interesting are usually not my favourite, i sometimes can't stand all the tension that comes with reading them but this review was lovely regardless, the author presented this work with precisely good intentions and the fact that there was some charity involved just makes it that much more worth it.

Irolee
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Irolee » 04 Jan 2019, 17:34

The book is full of horror but its interesting and I simply like it.what interests me more is that one will be eager to read further in other to know the end of the man behind the mask.

Mrudolph30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrudolph30.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mrudolph30 » 08 Jan 2019, 20:59

Thank you for your review! I don't normally read murder mysteries because there is enough murder on the news, but you've given me incentive to at least give this a look. I also am intrigued by the fact that you can piece together the identity of the killer using the author's clues. Sometimes in mystery stories the mystery is difficult to solve because there are details that the author only presents at the time of the great reveal.

amafie
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie » 09 Jan 2019, 12:54

I am thrilled and intrigued by deviant behavior and am looking forward to reading this book! Thank you for pointing out that the details of the murders can be quite graphic, I feel your review is superb. Thank you!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White

rogerthat
Favorite Book: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rogerthat.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by rogerthat » 15 Jan 2019, 05:41

I love stories of suspense. This book seems to be well written. I appreciate the author for supporting the police department who risk their lives to protect us. I'm adding the book to my bookshelves.

lisutsa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lisutsa » 16 Jan 2019, 10:21

an enthralling review of police case work, the casualities they face in the line of duty officers should be appreciated for there deeds

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure by Faye McFarland

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 16 Jan 2019, 23:44

This sounds like a great read. I like when the perpetrator isn't obvious.
I love that some of the profit is going to a police memorial fund.

timd
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 78
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 236
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 265
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: The Adults in the Room by Jeffrey D. Mechling

Post by timd » 28 Jan 2019, 12:48

An excellent review of an interesting and spine chilling book. I like the fact that the plot is complicated and difficult to solve. The different characters sound interesting as well. I enjoy well-developed characters in a book because they add an extra dimension to the story.

Cystrong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Cystrong » 30 Jan 2019, 13:32

This was a great review and now I am super curious about this book. I am hoping to read it soon. I love books that keep me guessing till the end and that I can follow along easily.

Delightsome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delightsome.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Delightsome » 31 Jan 2019, 23:05

Great review

Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Realm Journey
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Susmita Biswas » 05 Feb 2019, 14:11

The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel, by R. J. Torbert, is a horror novel. The cover page is very horrifying. It reminds me of the film scream. I think it would be great reading this book.

Sandra K Pearson
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sandra K Pearson » 11 Feb 2019, 17:29

This is a great review crime books are not my favorite, but I like that the characters are well developed. It helps when your reading something you wouldn't normally read.
" Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen. "

-Orhan Pamuk

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”