Official Review: Justice on the Mountain by Michael Giere

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Justice on the Mountain by Michael Giere

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Justice on the Mountain" by Michael Giere.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Detective Sharon Toro responded to a 911 call. Someone had reported seeing a child wandering alone on the mountain. In her attempt to assist this youngster, she becomes the pawn of violent criminals. The miscreants kidnap Sharon and hold her hostage. One of Sharon’s captors approaches her husband. He shows Floyd a recording of Sharon being held captive. The criminals need Floyd’s skills to complete their nefarious activities. If Floyd completes his assigned task, he and his wife can expect to be reunited.

Deputy Tommy Atkins was Sharon’s backup. He arrives at the designated meeting place. Sharon has disappeared, and there is no cell service on the mountain. How will he find her? Sheriff Augustus Smith helps Tommy by sending a search and rescue team up the mountain. Jamie Gallagher witnessed some suspicious activity between Floyd and a stranger. His instincts motivate him to go up the mountain in search of his friend.

The story alternates between these diverse scenarios. Sharon is attempting to escape and get back down the mountain. The criminals plan to keep Floyd on the mountain and manipulate him to fulfill their demands. Tommy and Jamie are on the mountain searching for Floyd and Sharon. The sheriff sends other deputies up the mountain to help with the search. The captors and the rescuers engage in a fast-paced game of cat and mouse on the mountain.

The White River National Forest in Colorado was an ideal setting for this story. The criminals’ scheme required the isolation the forest provided. The mountain setting obviated all cell phone communications requiring the characters to depend on wit, skill and experience. The mountain passes, along with the high winds they generate, played an essential role in the story.

Justice on the Mountain, by Michael Giere, is the second installment in the White River series. It is a beautiful standalone book. Readers delight in the soft winds of love and faith and shudder at the harsh gales of kidnapping and murder.

My only disappointment with the book was the phone call Floyd made to Sharon on his return from Weld County. The author builds up this relationship by revealing a history of heartaches healed by a shared faith. I thought the telephone call between them was a missed opportunity. Further development of this communication would have strengthened the reader’s connection with this couple.

I rate Justice on the Mountain 3 out of 4 stars. The story merits four stars, but numerous grammar errors moved the scale down to a three. I felt refreshed by reading a book with no bad language and no sex scenes. The portrayal of supportive and loving couples in happy marriages was inspiring. People of faith, willing to share their beliefs in a caring and unpretentious way, warmed the heart.

I recommend this book to people who enjoy Christian fiction and suspense. Readers will observe how believers rely on faith and prayer in all circumstances of life. People who are uncomfortable reading about kidnappings might not enjoy this story.

Justice on the Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Justice on the Mountain sounds like a clean, action-packed thriller. I look forward to having an opportunity to read a refreshing story!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Jessacardinal wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 11:31 Justice on the Mountain sounds like a clean, action-packed thriller. I look forward to having an opportunity to read a refreshing story!
It is refreshing when authors can deliver an intriguing story based on its own merits! Hope you will enjoy this book. I truly enjoyed this author.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! A clean yet action-packed book? That's somewhat unusual. It sounds pretty good despite the errors. I hope everyone is rescued safely. Guess I'll have to read to find out. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 09:16 Wow! A clean yet action-packed book? That's somewhat unusual. It sounds pretty good despite the errors. I hope everyone is rescued safely. Guess I'll have to read to find out. Thanks.
Yes, Yes, Yes!! I loved this book. It is a wonderful standalone, but I want to read the first book anyway. This is an author I will be following. Hope you enjoy it!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a nice read, but it is a pity about the editing errors. I would definitely be tempted to read the first book as well! Thanks for the review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

gen_g wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 12:18 This sounds like a nice read, but it is a pity about the editing errors. I would definitely be tempted to read the first book as well! Thanks for the review!
I still loved it - even with the editing errors. I liked the writing as much as the characters. So I definitely will read the first book and then anxiously await the rest of the series!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Count me in with this one. I appreciate an author who delivers a clean action-packed storyline.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

melissy370 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 15:56 Count me in with this one. I appreciate an author who delivers a clean action-packed storyline.
You will not be disappointed! Thanks for reading and commenting.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds scary, with a thrilling cat-and-mouse game. We think cell phones make us less vulnerable, but some natural environments are stronger than that technology. I enjoyed reading your excellent review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 01:53 This sounds scary, with a thrilling cat-and-mouse game. We think cell phones make us less vulnerable, but some natural environments are stronger than that technology. I enjoyed reading your excellent review.
It was exciting and nail-biting at times. Not having cell phone service is frustrating in itself. I can't imagine what it would be like to be out of range during an emergency! Thanks for commenting.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love this type of story. It's also interesting that the author used the setting to influence the plot. Your review is very insightful.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

teacherjh wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 11:47 I love this type of story. It's also interesting that the author used the setting to influence the plot. Your review is very insightful.
I really like this author and his writing style. I also appreciate your kind and motivating comments. Thanks!
Shirley-Mercy 8
Favorite Book: Zeus Defied
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Shirley-Mercy 8 »

i like the story the christian based plot yet thrilling...perfect
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I have never considered Christian mysteries... this book sounds fascinating! Most mystery/thrillers are quite graphic so it will be refreshing to read something cleaner (to use your word). Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”