Official Review: The Lost Hopes of the Future

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: The Lost Hopes of the Future

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lost Hopes of the Future" by Alicia Manley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Hopes of the Future by Alicia C Manley is a coming of age book written by a teenage author for teenage readers. Tristan Anderson receives a videotape through the post. Once he works out how to play it, he finds a sequence of short films, each predicting the death of someone close to him. To add to the mystery, each clip appears to have been filmed in the 1980s, yet he and his friends appear in them, dressed for that time period. Tristan shows the video to his friends who believe it to be en elaborate hoax until a death occurs almost exactly as depicted in the film. They then try to prevent the next death, only to find that it will play out in some other way if they succeed.

I loved the premise of a group of post-millennials having to deal with outdated technology, and how contemporary characters were appearing on film that was almost 40 years old. I also loved the way the plot unfolded initially. What I was unsure about was whether the book was supposed to be satirical or not. I couldn’t help but smile when Tristan, after hearing of the deaths of friends and family, wailed ’why is this happening to me?’ and ’totally ruining my life!’ They are such clichéd things for a teenager to say, yet the author is a teenager herself so I was never quite sure which angle she was coming from.

Knowing that the story was written by a 17-year-old, I have to say that it is remarkably good and I enjoyed it. The area of the book that I least liked was the theme all the way through where Tristan is confused as to whether he’s gay or not. While I don’t have a problem with that as a theme, by page 7 when he had introduced Blake as having jet-black hair and bright green eyes, and that ’he helped the poor kid out by tucking his soft hair behind his ears’, I was already yelling, ”You’re gay, mate, gay as a window!” So the 200 odd pages of him questioning, exploring, obsessing and discovering all got a bit samey after a while. I also felt that the question of his sexuality was given greater importance than the issue of his friends dropping dead all around him. Again, I was asking myself, ”is the author being satirical?”

I’m afraid that for me, the book started to fall apart rather towards the end. Usually, the resolution of something of this nature requires a sacrifice. Needing all of your Christmases to come at once was rather unexpected. I also found myself wading through buckets of teenage angst which I’m sure goes down a storm in the young-adult and fan-fiction circles but doesn’t sell itself to a wider audience.

From a grammatical point of view, the book was saved from my ’big red pen of doom’ by being written in the first person. I allowed a lot of inaccuracies to go by under the heading of ’that’s how people speak’. However, I do have the following comments.

The author often changed tense mid-sentence, for instance, ’making me see things I should've never saw’. Also, she was rather parsimonious with her commas. There were times when a missing comma completely changed the meaning of a sentence; for example, ’Blake and Sage stopped seeming to be intrigued by my find.’ I couldn’t understand why they were being so blasé until I realised that the comma between ’stopped’ and ’seeming’ was missing. There were other errors, such as incorrect words: ’velocity’ instead of ’veracity’, ’everyday’ instead of ’every day’ and my old favourite, the misplaced apostrophes. What it all boils down to is that everybody needs an editor. My last comment is that the book contained a rather graphic gay sex scene. I personally don’t have a problem with that, but the book blurb on Amazon doesn’t indicate that homosexuality makes up such a large part of the story and people may feel they should be warned beforehand.

I think that this book will be well received by young adults, especially anybody having difficulties with their sexuality. I also think it was a good thriller, but it needed tightening up, and a bit more of an explanation of how and why all the things were happening, particularly between the time loops. The author also needs to move away from fan fiction themes like ’OTP’ and ’gay ship’ as most people outside of the fanfic bubble don’t know what they mean.

Had this book been written by an older person, I would have given it 2 stars, but for such a young author, it is exceptional, so I’m giving it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Lost Hopes of the Future
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Hi, Helen! Based on your review, I'm impressed that the book was written by a teenager. I think the same issues that bothered you would get to me, as well. Thanks for the great review.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I think it is great for an author so young to get a book published, all power to her! I'm pretty sure this book is not one I will pick up, but loved your insightful review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 01:18 Hi, Helen! Based on your review, I'm impressed that the book was written by a teenager. I think the same issues that bothered you would get to me, as well. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you, yes, the book has a niche market.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 02:28 I think it is great for an author so young to get a book published, all power to her! I'm pretty sure this book is not one I will pick up, but loved your insightful review.
Thank you, I was impressed by the youth of the author. I think she’ll be a blockbuster as her writing matures.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

At the age of 17 I was barely passing my classes with a C average. The fact that this young lady wrote an entire book at that age is incredible. She has such a great imagination. Overall, this book was a great thriller, comedy, and romance story. I'm hoping that Alicia will make another sequel. great review by the way.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 05:18 At the age of 17 I was barely passing my classes with a C average. The fact that this young lady wrote an entire book at that age is incredible. She has such a great imagination. Overall, this book was a great thriller, comedy, and romance story. I'm hoping that Alicia will make another sequel. great review by the way.
Thank you
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

Nice story. It's amazing to know that such crazy imagination was written by a 17-year-old
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

praisecrown8 wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 06:46 Nice story. It's amazing to know that such crazy imagination was written by a 17-year-old
I was impressed.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

A videotape playing a sequence of short films, each predicting the death of someone close to the main character. :o This coming of age book written by a 17-year-old girl ( I am impressed :shock: ) sounds a thrilling read; in fact, I'll add to my TBR list. :D
Thank you for the detailed review! :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Emy Katherine wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 08:58 A videotape playing a sequence of short films, each predicting the death of someone close to the main character. :o This coming of age book written by a 17-year-old girl ( I am impressed :shock: ) sounds a thrilling read; in fact, I'll add to my TBR list. :D
Thank you for the detailed review! :tiphat:
Great, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for posting. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I saw this one to review, and I'm very glad I didn't pick it up. It's a credit to the author that he or she has written such a great book at such a young age. The only place to go from here is up. However, any graphic content is not to my liking. Hence, I'll be skipping this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 13:21 I saw this one to review, and I'm very glad I didn't pick it up. It's a credit to the author that he or she has written such a great book at such a young age. The only place to go from here is up. However, any graphic content is not to my liking. Hence, I'll be skipping this one.
Yes, I think she’ll go on to great things. Thanks for posting.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Coming of age, 1980s nostalgia, young adult.... everything sounds like it is a book I would totally enjoy! I'm going to seek this title out on Amazon or at my library so I can read it.

Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I'm so intrigued by the premise! It's a pity that the book started to fall apart, but I agree that everyone needs an editor. Thanks for the review, Helen! (It's great to see a new review from you!)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”