Review by Mizholly21 -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Strang...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mizholly21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizholly21.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Review by Mizholly21 -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Strang...

Post by Mizholly21 » 30 Dec 2018, 01:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders" by Brian E. Forschner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian Forschner is a true crime novel that provides a grand dose of reality to the reader. This novel is filled with gory details of crimes committed and lives that were taken. Forschner brings life to hundred-year-old mysteries that were about to be forgotten.

Rape and murder are very hard things to talk about, but even harder in the early 1900s. Throughout history, some subjects were kept a secret or had very negative connotations associated with it due to lack of knowledge and in some cases plain old ignorance. Forschner obviously had to do an immense amount of research before he could write this book, and it shows. I appreciate the aspect that this book came to light because of family history and that it broadened into more than one family’s history.

This novel is written so well that many times I found myself engulfed in the pages, forgetting that the events really happened. Often it was hard to believe that such things can, did, and do still happen. Life was hard for a lot of people in Dayton, Ohio in 1900-1909, and life was made even harder by having killers on the loose. Connections were made between some murders, and many men were accused of horrific crimes.

Throughout this novel, there are many historical facts that are brought to light about everyday life. Forschner tells of how many women had to work, but had limited jobs to choose from. Vivid descriptions of parties, dates, and events brought the book to life. Drama from fights, gossip, and crimes gave the story depth, and reality. But of course, there is always dark to match the light. Dayton was not a perfect place and Forschner shows the naked truth about life there. Ugly as some things may be, they still need to be told to give perspective to a situation. One thing that I didn’t like about the book was that it was so sad. That being said the sadness is needed to be told and shared to help teach a lesson in life, and this book has an amazing lesson.

I rate Cold Serial with a 4 out of 4 stars. I give this book a perfect score because it was edited well, written amazingly, and kept my attention throughout the entire book. This book would be a perfect read for anyone who loves history, \true crime, and mysteries. I would not recommend this book to anyone who is sensitive to gory details and doesn’t like mysteries.

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mizholly21's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”