Official Review: Jemima's Secret by Allie Ann Alexander

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Jemima's Secret by Allie Ann Alexander

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jemima's Secret" by Allie Ann Alexander.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jemima’s Secret opens your heart to the story of Allie and her family’s history. Her ancestors were fundamental in the founding and development of the city of Alexandria, Virginia. Currently, the city is eyeing her family lands for commercial development. Allie plans to present a civil suit against the city of Alexandria to prove her family’s ownership of this land. She needs to locate the land grant documents that prove that these lands belonged to her ancestors. Her studies at the Smithsonian give her access to historical documents. She has also been examining papers and pictures left to her by her great-grandmother, Jemima. Will she uncover enough evidence to save her family's land?

The city officials of Alexandria are salivating at the prospect of developing this prime piece of waterfront property. They will use any means necessary to contest Allie’s real estate claims. Will corporate money and power crush Allie’s determination? Can Allie’s friend, Kent, protect her and her family's heritage?

Allie Ann Alexander chose Alexandria, Virginia, as an appropriate venue for this story. The author cites books about Virginia’s history. The “Real Story of Eminent Domain in Virginia” can be downloaded as a pdf file. A map of the family’s original claim reinforces the historical aspect of the story.

I enjoyed all the historical facts included in the story. The author shares a wealth of information about colonial family life. References to well-known historical personalities lend authenticity to the story. I also liked the romance that developed between the two main characters.

I thought parts of the resolution ended too abruptly. There was good build-up regarding the antagonist. He had depth and history. Suspense and reputation added to his character. After such a good start, this character did not reach his full potential.

The editing of this book detracted from the reading. Simple errors, like two periods at the end of sentences and extras spaces, jarred the reading flow. Another round of editing would improve this fascinating story.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The abrupt ending and the numerous grammar mistakes affected my decision. If these errors could be corrected, I would happily raise the score. The historical material presented is valuable and exciting.

Readers who enjoy historical fiction related to the original colonies will treasure this book. Romance fans will applaud Allie's blossoming love life. People who prefer stories with legal themes will find the information about eminent domain informative and stimulating. Readers who become frustrated with short books will have to look further. This book, though interesting, finishes rather quickly as 56 pages fly by in the blink of an eye!

Jemima's Secret
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Although I'm not really a big fan of historical fiction, I like that this one has a good build-up. I will like to give this a try because it's short. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I appreciate the amount of research that must have gone into this story. However, historical fiction isn't my usual genre. I don't think this one is worth breaking the mold for. Hopefully the author can do some editing to bring the story a bit more value. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I like the historical element, but the number of editing errors are a turn-off. I'll have to give it a pass for now. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

T_stone wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 06:44 Although I'm not really a big fan of historical fiction, I like that this one has a good build-up. I will like to give this a try because it's short. Thanks for the honest review.
Hope you will enjoy it. The author packs lots of history into these few short pages. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 08:46 I appreciate the amount of research that must have gone into this story. However, historical fiction isn't my usual genre. I don't think this one is worth breaking the mold for. Hopefully the author can do some editing to bring the story a bit more value. Thanks.
A well-researched book adds so much to the story line. I was able to download the documents referenced in the book. It really helped to relate to the conflict of the main character. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

gen_g wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 10:33 I like the historical element, but the number of editing errors are a turn-off. I'll have to give it a pass for now. Thanks for the review!
I was frustrated by the errors, but the content still intrigued me. Thanks for reading and commenting!
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

Lol, I hate abrupt endings. I watched a movie with one of those endings a couple of months ago, and I still feel a bit gypped. After chewing through all the conflict, it felt like someone stole the desert.

I'm still interested in the book for learning about Eminent Domain. I've been curious about law lately. I'm mostly interested in business law, but I'd like to know more about developmental law.

Great review! I feel like I know what to expect. :)
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

JordanKSmith wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 19:41 Lol, I hate abrupt endings. I watched a movie with one of those endings a couple of months ago, and I still feel a bit gypped. After chewing through all the conflict, it felt like someone stole the desert.

I'm still interested in the book for learning about Eminent Domain. I've been curious about law lately. I'm mostly interested in business law, but I'd like to know more about developmental law.

Great review! I feel like I know what to expect. :)
I also enjoyed the information about eminent domain. The link that the book provides to the historical document added detail and interest to the story. Hope you will enjoy it too. Thanks for commenting!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not sure whether I will like this or not, but it did not hindered me from enjoying your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sushan wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 20:33 I am not sure whether I will like this or not, but it did not hindered me from enjoying your review. Thank you 👍👍
Hope you will give it a try. It is a quick read. Thanks for stopping by!
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Looks like the story has alot of history in it. Thanks for your view.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

C-Extra22 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 08:09 Looks like the story has alot of history in it. Thanks for your view.
I liked that about the book too. This story motivated me to find out more about the eminent domain issue in this time period. This book will take you down paths of history you hadn't thought about before! Thanks for stopping by.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It seems the book is misclassified as a crime thriller. The story reads more like non-fiction to me. Eminent domain, like any of the government's other powers, needs no justification and allows no objection. That's the sad truth.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:18 It seems the book is misclassified as a crime thriller. The story reads more like non-fiction to me. Eminent domain, like any of the government's other powers, needs no justification and allows no objection. That's the sad truth.
Yes, this sad truth is part of the story. It seems like governments have been using it for a long time. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”