Official Review: Death Has a Thousand Doors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Death Has a Thousand Doors

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Has a Thousand Doors" by Peter Worland.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hal has no experience with (and little desire for) caving adventures, yet when his girlfriend Maria suggests they join a cave exploring group on a trip, he agrees to try something new as a means of strengthening their bond. The group’s leader is Stick, a slightly eccentric caving fanatic, eager to discover uncharted territory. Though the other members of the group all know each other, Hal notices that this does not prevent squabbles and disagreements among them when it comes to determining their plans.

Peter Worland’s Death Has a Thousand Doors is a fictional nail-biting survival adventure, detailing the story of this group of young people as they enter and make their way through an unknown and unmarked cave system. Almost immediately upon their entry, they run into trouble, meeting with a band of violent and unstable moonshiners who are none too happy to learn that the group has stumbled upon their illegal cache of booze and firearms. The moonshiners attack viciously, forcing those of the group who can to retreat farther into the cave, having no way out except to go through the maze to the other exit. To do this, they must rely on Stick’s limited expertise and hard luck. Unfortunately, the only map they have is a crudely drawn sketch from a hundred years ago, and there is no telling how accurate it is, or if there truly even is a way out of the nightmare.

Desperate to find their way to the other side, the members of the caving group must face flash floods, perilous drop offs, dead ends, and dwindling light, food, and water. Tensions grow as personalities emerge, and each member of the expedition faces his or her greatest fears. By the end, the aggression some individuals of the group feel toward each other is almost as deadly as the other perils they face, and each person is essentially left to fend for themselves as they claw their way to safety. Not all of them make it out, and the scars and memories that plague the survivors are not easily forgotten.

As a huge fan of survival adventure stories, I have read dozens in which the characters face deadly situations and must use their wits and sheer will to make their way through. Though I enjoyed the plot of this book and thought it moved through the events at an excellent pace (leaving just enough time for the reader to realize the sheer terror the characters must be feeling, without dwelling or getting bogged down in too much detail), several factors would cause me to hesitate significantly before recommending this book in its current state. The text file which I was given did not seem to be a finalized version of the book; in fact, it was so sloppily put-together that I would guess the document has not even been proofread in its entirety. I suspect this is the case because in at least two sections of the file, there were large blocks of text that were erroneously pasted in, completely out of order. (For example, in the middle of Chapter 3 there was a large chunk of Chapter 4, which appeared again when I got to the proper place in the story. A piece from Chapter 6 was also repeated later in the text, again with no logic or reason.) In addition to this egregious carelessness, there were dozens of typos, capitalization and punctuation errors, missing quotation marks and/or words, and other errors.

Finally, I had a difficult time with the narrative voice/tone of the story itself. Though it is understandable that the survivors of this incident would experience lasting psychological consequences, the tone in which this story was written came across as incredibly bitter and angry. The members of this exploration group were described as being in their 20s, yet at times the narrator and other characters behaved like immature adolescents, allowing their pride and machismo to overshadow rational decision-making. They were, simply-speaking, unpleasant people to read about much of the time, and I did not find myself rooting for them to get out of the cave like I would expect. However, other readers may have a less negative reaction to these personalities.

The story is laced with graphic violence, adult language, and sexual content, so I would not recommend it to minors. Despite the serious issues I had with the writing style and formatting, the content of the story itself was engaging, so I believe with a thorough edit this book could have a wide audience. In its current state, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars, recognizing its potential to be worked into an exciting adventure.

Death Has a Thousand Doors
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a great action story, if you don't mind the editing. I like the plot. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

Peter Worland’s Death Has a Thousand Doors is a fictional nail-biting survival adventure, detailing the story of this group of young people as they enter and make their way through an unknown and unmarked cave system.
Sounds an engaging and suspenseful read, but I think I will pass on this one because of the editing. Anyway, fans of survival adventure books should check it out! Thank you for the thorough review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This one definitely needs to be put in the proper order and have some editing done to it. The premise sounds fun and exciting, though. When it is in its final form, it's definitely one I'll need to check out. Thanks so much for your review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

With such a suspenseful plot, it's a shame the tone of the story wasn't more relatable. I find it difficult to read a book when it's a challenge to connect with characters like those you described.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I will take into account the sloppy unedited nature of this book and just read it, knowing the relatively good pacing and the potential the story had. What survival horror books do you suggest reading? Just curious :)
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

Oh well, there is a special kind of fun that you can have with a book like this. Whenever the heroes are total jerks that I can't respect, I start rooting for the bad guys, lol.

Yeah, it sounds like that book could use some serious editing. That's too bad. I just watched a film called Time Trap, and it really got me in the mood for a survival adventure story.

Nice job! You told me exactly what I needed to hear, and you told it well. :)
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Ogbehlinus00
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ogbehlinus00 »

Unconditional love should'nt live beyond limitations. Nice book but need some editings to do in terms of suspenses,actions,fun and and excitement in it
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Thank you for letting me know about the unpleasant characters. I'm currently reading "The Face of Fear" and some of the characters are equally unpleasant. I do agree that this can ruin a story, to the point where you may not even care if they survive. I'm not sure if I would want to read this, yet it seems like this book has a lot of potential. Thanks for the honest review!
:character-ariel:
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I love survival adventurous stories but I don't think I will check this out due to it's obvious numerous shortcomings. Thank you for the wonderful review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”