Official Review: The Hand of Destiny by Martin Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Official Review: The Hand of Destiny by Martin Jones

Post by Jessacardinal »

Bianka Walter wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 03:16 Oh, dear. I would hate to read a book like this. You didn't mention, but if the descriptions of the food were good, I would just be tempted to eat through the whole thing.
I love this review, thanks!
This, indeed, would not be a good read for one currently following a strict diet. I assume most readers, myself included, would not want to read this just days into the new year!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

The ability of the author to include a diverse range of characters is exemplary and commendable. I see this book as a balanced read worthy of recommendation to a wide range of audiences.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I usually enjoy descriptive writing but not when it impedes the story rather than enhancing it. The plot sounds interesting enough though that I'll consider reading it. Thanks for the great review!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

In this short read, Melville interacts with a Chinese undergraduate student, a gay professor of antiquities, a female pilot, an Indian prince, and a Nazi general. The author's inclusion of such a diverse range of characters is admirable and significant in light of the pre-WWII timeline.
I love when books do this successfully. However, it sounds like the rest of the book just doesn’t come together. Thanks for this well-thought our review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”