Official Review: Split Second by Michael Kuzilny

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Split Second by Michael Kuzilny

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Split Second" by Michael Kuzilny.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael Kuzilny is a practicing lawyer, author, and the television host of Tough Times Never Last. Having also previously served ten years as an officer in Australia's Victoria Police Academy, the author shares his experiences and passion for helping others in his latest book, Split Second: The Dark Secrets of a Cop Turned Criminal Defence Lawyer.

The author dates his interest in the law back to his boyhood in Germany where he observed the unjust treatment of a family attempting to cross at the west side of the Berlin Wall. His family moved to Australia when he was a teenager, and though bullied because of his German accent, the author credits learning to overcome adversity as his motivation for seeking change. As an adult, he has spent his career both enforcing the law and defending those who need his help; witnessing firsthand how split-second decisions and hasty choices can result in long-lasting pain and regret. The author shares the corruption he faced as a young police officer, the lines he crossed and still regrets, and ultimately his decision to pursue justice by serving as an attorney and the experiences that followed. He believes his police background helped him become a better lawyer where he is now positioned to make the most difference.

This well-written read includes 20 chapters and is divided into two sections. Part 1, "Thin Blue Line," is the largest portion of the book, and as the title suggests, focuses on the author's time serving as a police officer and the crimes he worked. Early on, he is transparent about his struggles. "It was a constant mental balancing act between my idealistic view and the reality of working in the police; I regret my attitude back at this point in time." The stories flow smoothly, and there is a natural progression to Part 2, "Pinstripe Suits," which follows the author's experiences as an attorney.

What I liked most about this book was the author's flair for storytelling. Based on his engaging first-person narrative, it's not surprising that he is also a television host. Whether describing the social scene of Australia in the late 1980s, depicting violent crimes, or sharing confessions of wrestling with his conscience, the author held my attention. I also appreciated his candor and transparency as he shared raw emotions related to some of the terrible circumstances he witnessed.

The thing I liked least about the book was the amount of profanity it contained. Admittedly, some of it was the author's portrayal of conversations with others and the language they used. However, there were as many instances where the author casually used offensive language including a word that is particularly derogatory toward women.

The book appears to be professionally edited as I noted only a few errors. Overall, the skillful storytelling and engaging content outweigh the profanity issues. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Because it portrays both the perspectives of law enforcement and the criminal justice system, I recommend it to readers who enjoy crime stories comparable to Law and Order. It will also appeal to those who reside in or are interested in Australia. Readers who are sensitive to crime-related violence may prefer to pass on this one.

Split Second
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm very glad that the author was such a fabulous story teller! That makes a book really stand out. I don't mind occasional profanity in my book, but it sounds like this one goes a bit further. That might be a bit much for me. Thanks for the review. I'll think on this one a bit longer.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 08:49 I'm very glad that the author was such a fabulous story teller! That makes a book really stand out. I don't mind occasional profanity in my book, but it sounds like this one goes a bit further. That might be a bit much for me. Thanks for the review. I'll think on this one a bit longer.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

Because it portrays both the perspectives of law enforcement and the criminal justice system, I recommend it to readers who enjoy crime stories comparable to Law and Order
Law and Order? This book is definitely a must-read for me! Furthemore, I really like this book is divided into two sections. The first part focused on the author's time serving as a police officer; the second part focused on the author's experiences as an attorney. :) Thank you for the thorough review! :techie-reference:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Emy Katherine wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 11:03
Because it portrays both the perspectives of law enforcement and the criminal justice system, I recommend it to readers who enjoy crime stories comparable to Law and Order
Law and Order? This book is definitely a must-read for me! Furthemore, I really like this book is divided into two sections. The first part focused on the author's time serving as a police officer; the second part focused on the author's experiences as an attorney. :) Thank you for the thorough review! :techie-reference:
Thank you. I appreciate your comment, Emy. :tiphat:
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

It does sound like a good read! There are a lot of books of this nature out there at the moment, so it doesn't sound that original. Your review covers the book well enough to still make me want to check it out.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ice dragon wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 14:02 It does sound like a good read! There are a lot of books of this nature out there at the moment, so it doesn't sound that original. Your review covers the book well enough to still make me want to check it out.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book sound quite interesting. Being a lawyer and a TV host, it had shown why the book seem to be well described. However, I don't think I'll be reading this one. Thanks for yet another amazing review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 22:51 This book sound quite interesting. Being a lawyer and a TV host, it had shown why the book seem to be well described. However, I don't think I'll be reading this one. Thanks for yet another amazing review.
Thanks for your comment.
Danielle luca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Danielle luca »

I'm very glad that the author was such a fabulous story teller! That makes a book really stand out. I don't mind occasional profanity in my book, but it sounds like this one goes a bit further. That might be a bit much for me. Thanks for the review. I'll think on this one a bit longer.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for a well-written, thorough review! I initially read the beginning paragraph quickly and thought it was a novel about a lawyer who was a TV host. I thought that was an interesting premise. Then I realized it's a non-fiction book. :) It still seems interesting! I love your phrase, "flair for storytelling."
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

This book has a captivating cover and enchanting storyline that appeals to me. Thanks for the insightful review.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

The cover looks quite interesting and gives a reader an idea of what to expect. The book sounds like a brilliant read and a real credit to his career. The profanity might be a problem for me. The quantity of such words in this book sounds like it's way above my threshold so I might not pick it up.
Favour Great
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Favour Great »

This book should be good
Be a lawyer and Tv host
But I don't think I'll be reading it...
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I like the fact that the book appears to have been professionally edited.The author also has an amazing storyline.Nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”