Official Review: Paint Her Dead by Wanda Shelton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: Paint Her Dead by Wanda Shelton

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paint Her Dead" by Wanda Shelton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine you signed up for a weekend getaway art workshop at a lovely resort. You are excited to escape from your stalker ex-boyfriend and just relax. Unfortunately, the creepy ex shows up at the resort. On top of that, you are intensely attracted to a man married to another artist attending the workshop. Oh, and a dead body is found on the beach. Sounds relaxing, huh?

This is the opening setup for Paint Her Dead by Wanda Shelton. It’s a great mystery with action and light romance thrown in. As Leah, the main character, soon finds out, Nate, the man she is attracted to, is actually an unmarried FBI agent who was sent undercover to the art workshop to track an art thief. The woman who is killed was also working for the FBI. How is her murder connected to the case? What did she find out that led to her demise? Where is her missing laptop that holds all the clues? How is Leah’s ex involved? Who else is in danger? All of these questions create a plot filled with twists and action.

The author has a pleasant writing style and the plot flows smoothly. The characters are well developed and believable for the most part. The reader gets a clear view of each character’s looks and personality. However, there were a few glitches with the plot. For instance, I found it hard to believe that the cottages at the resort would not lock from outside. I have never heard of a hotel where you leave your room open when you leave. There are places where the unlocked doors were necessary to the plot, but I still found it unrealistic. Also, I was shocked when Nate told Leah’s friend about his FBI cover. No agent would risk compromising the case by doing that. Lastly, over halfway through the book, a couple characters make some remarks about faith and prayer. I admire the author for wanting to include religious belief in the story, but none of these characters showed these characteristics earlier. It felt thrown in.

These relatively small foibles did not mar my experience reading the book. The plot was engaging and the resolution of the case was satisfying. I especially appreciated the way the author included romance without any explicit scenes.

I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars for the great action and mystery. I am taking away one point for the few plot missteps and the above average number of editing errors I found including one character whose name is spelled two different ways. I believe most mystery lovers will find reading this book enjoyable and engaging.

Paint Her Dead
View: on Bookshelves

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad it doesn't sound like Leah got much relaxing in! I do hope the FBI agent that she falls for puts her boyfriend in place. Sounds intriguing. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like it has an interesting premise! It's a pity about the slight errors, but it's great that it's only slight. Thanks for the review!
Wandamarie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wandamarie »

Thank you for the great review Paint Her Dead sounds like an interesting read
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

It is really distracting when reality shifts for the sake of plot convenience. I can still enjoy a story in spite of that, but a story will almost always get a bit of a knock for that. It sounds like it is a good book in spite of that.

Oh, and no, that doesn't sound very relaxing, lol.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

The Bates Motel might be one place where people are encouraged to leave their doors unlocked, but you're right, it seems unlikely anyone would really go for that. This sounds like a good read though. Nice review.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Judging from the title, "Paint her dead", I was expecting the story to be more gruesome. Yet it seems as if this story focuses more on the aftermath of a murder, since the characters were trying to solve the case. I might pass this story up since it does not sound violent or gory enough for my interests, but I appreciate your thorough, well written review. Happy New Year!
:character-ariel:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love mysteries and I am so curious now to know the identity of the killer and how Leah's ex is involved. It's fun when authors write about vacations and retreats and then the inciting incident happens. I wonder how many real life getaways have been interrupted by murder and crime.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This sounds like the kind of book I would love to dive in to next! Thank you for the review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Oh wow, the mysterious plot with a slice of lo love sounds intriguing. Well-developed characters and fine editing makes it worth a reading. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Your first paragraph gives this book an irresistible appeal. I love your narrative style.
promzyasuquo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by promzyasuquo »

From the name I think it will be an interesting book
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

C-Extra22 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 08:03 Your first paragraph gives this book an irresistible appeal. I love your narrative style.
Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate you leaving a comment.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Great mystery with action and romance thrown in is quite a combination.I appreciate this author's unique style.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Despite the unrealistic elements, this still sounds like a really interesting book. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”