Official Review: Blackwater by Paul McParland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Blackwater by Paul McParland

Post by Vscholz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blackwater" by Paul McParland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a scandal causing him to lose his job, James Dawson relocates his family to Blackwater House. This new life is intended to help heal his marriage, especially as he can have his own law practice and provide his wife with her dream house. When they arrive the townsfolk avoid them, and it isn't long before weird happenings set back all of the work they have done to improve their marriage. Can the ghosts of the past be stopped before history repeats itself, resulting in tragedy?

Paul McParland's Blackwater: A Gothic Horror starts off slowly, creating a background story for the reader to better understand the problems that lead the family to their new home. Normally, I grow bored with such details, but by subconsciously remembering that this novel is subtitled “A Gothic Horror” made it enjoyable; truly gothic tales are not known for high-speed action, making McParland's novel slow start quite appropriate.

I liked that it is set in 1982 rather than in present day; with our current reliance on technology, it would have been too easy for the characters to whip out their cell phones to research the history of the house. Karen, James' wife and mother to their children, spends time going to the library to look through old newspapers to unravel the mystery of why the townsfolk act so coldly towards her family. I appreciated the work Karen had to do and the relationship she formed with the librarian; it truly reminded me of the days before the internet when micro-fiche machines were the way to find information.

Unfortunately, there were too many punctuation and grammar errors throughout the book to make it completely immersible. Early in the novel, there is an instance where James' mother tells Karen that she allows her husband to have his extramarital affairs, using them as leverage to get whatever she wants. I found this conversation to be surreal, but I am not from the same generation nor the same social class to understand the reasoning behind this scenario; even though I questioned the logic, I acknowledge that my lack of experience in these exact situations is not the fault of the author.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were too many errors to be able to give it a perfect rating; these errors could be limited (if not entirely eliminated) with a few more rounds of editing. I would recommend this novel to fans of horror, but I would advise them that it is not action-packed and that there are several grammar errors.

Blackwater
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like horror stories, but I wish there was more action to it. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

There was a movie by this name. But this story has nothing like that movie. Nice review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors because this sounds fascinating. I agree about the date; it adds an element of mystery since they can't just Google it! I'm putting this one on my list despite its slow start. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 09:54 It's too bad about the errors because this sounds fascinating. I agree about the date; it adds an element of mystery since they can't just Google it! I'm putting this one on my list despite its slow start. Thanks.
I actually love the slow start. Once the scary part starts, it stays!
Thanks for the comment!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 01:57 There was a movie by this name. But this story has nothing like that movie. Nice review!
I noticed there are several other books on Amazon with title. Maybe it is something that is like a legend or archetype.

Thanks for the comment!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 00:00 I like horror stories, but I wish there was more action to it. Thank you for the review!
There's different types of horror and this one is more... subtle, I guess. There isn't a killer running around a la 80s slasher films. I think it is a bit more similar to the Netflix remake The Haunting of Hill House.

Thanks for the comment!
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I think you hit the nail on the head with the slow start being the perfect start for a gothic horror! The suspenseful, tension-building timing is perfect for a horror book such as this. Setting the book in 1982 was a great call by McParland, I agree. Horror set back in time is so much better than currently, in my opinion. I can't wait to pick this book up! Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”