Official Review: The Mist Rises Over Notchey Creek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Mist Rises Over Notchey Creek

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mist Rises Over Notchey Creek" by Liz Andrews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in the small southern town of Tennessee, The Mist Rises Over Notchey Creek: A Harley Henrickson Mystery is the debut novel of author, Liz Andrews. Harley, a sensitive young woman whom many dismiss as the town nerd, was raised by her grandfather and gave up a Harvard scholarship when he became ill with cancer to care for him and help run the family whiskey distillery, which she has since inherited. Preparations are underway for the town's annual autumn festival when a mysterious stranger is discovered in a ditch who appears to be dead but then staggers away and disappears into the woods. On the same day, a famous rock star moves to Notchey Creek, and soon after, a history professor and long-time resident of the town is murdered. As Harley investigates the murder, memories from her own childhood begin to surface, and she unveils a dark secret connected to prominent citizens in town.

The mystery's plot is enhanced by the author's skillful use of imagery and a parade of complex and eccentric characters who might reside in any small southern town. Readers will relate to the protagonist, Harley, who despite the townspeople's insensitive barbs about her lack of beauty, doesn't allow her insecurities to define her. She is smart, well-read, compassionate, and hard working. In addition to distilling whiskey as taught to her by her grandfather, she has a flair for creating cocktail recipes which she serves at the family liquor store, Smoky Mountain Spirits. Aunt Wilma's escapades are also a treat, from her hair emergencies to her overbearing but well-meaning tendency to set up less than desirable blind dates for Harley. Other characters of interest include Jed, an ex-professional football player turned sheriff, with no previous law enforcement history and Harley's best friend from childhood, Tina, who owns the town bakery and wears rhinestones and stilettos to the events she caters. Regarding Tina's fashion sense, Harley quotes fellow Tennesse native, Dolly Parton, "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap." Andrews also provides intriguing backstories that resurface later in the story. The subtitle leaves the impression that this may be the first in a series which I hope will be the case.

It's always a pleasure to be surprised by a book, and the thing I liked most about this one was its unexpected humor. I found it impressive that Andrews was able to simultaneously weave a plot that kept me guessing while conjuring visual images that made me laugh. In one instance, Harley found herself transporting a giant model cupcake, an antique toilet, and her enormous pet pig, Matilda in her 1958 red Chevy truck. The author's detailed description of a scarecrow dressed like Aerosmith's Steve Tyler complete with a sign reading "Dream On" to promote a local bedding business also had me chuckling. The humor didn't detract in the least from the element of suspense. To the contrary, I was somewhat reminded of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series; though Andrews kept the humor PG and it never bordered on raunchy.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, but if pressed to define what I liked least, the title is the only thing that comes to mind. Andrews paints a beautiful image of the mist rising from the foothills and effectively conveys symbolism by connecting it to a literary reference. However, as the title of a mystery and one with humor at that, it's not one that I would have selected had I not dug deeper for review purposes. Based on my response, I can't help but wonder if the book may be overlooked by other readers who would be missing out on a great read.

Nevertheless, the book is worthy of a 4 out of 4 stars rating. It was exceptionally edited, as I found no errors. I recommend it to cozy mystery fans. It will also appeal to readers who enjoy books about life in small towns.

The Mist Rises Over Notchey Creek
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a great read. I agree with you that the title and book cover are unappealing, and I will surely overlook it if it is present among a number of other books. Great review as always!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The unexpected humor as well as the great complex characters appeals to me here. It sounds quite interesting, and I wonder who this character that appeared to be dead is. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

The plot sounds really very interesting. I would love to try it. Such an insightful review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 08:43 This seems like a great read. I agree with you that the title and book cover are unappealing, and I will surely overlook it if it is present among a number of other books. Great review as always!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 09:48 The unexpected humor as well as the great complex characters appeals to me here. It sounds quite interesting, and I wonder who this character that appeared to be dead is. Thanks for the great review.
The author did a great job of balancing the two. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 09:58 The plot sounds really very interesting. I would love to try it. Such an insightful review!
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

This sounds like a fabulous read. It is certainly going on my TBR! Your description of Harley, her adventures, the mystery, and her various shenanigans makes it sound like a must read! It is very difficult to write a humorous suspense novel and I am intrigued and elated to read it. Thanks for taking the time to read and review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds great. I love cozy mysteries, so I'll definitely be reading this one.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A mystery revolving around a murder in a small Southern town with a book-loving whiskey distiller as a detective sounds intriguing. A complex heroine, good imagery, and humor make it a good read for fans of the genre. That it was well edited is another plus. Thank you and good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

A story set in a small town with witty humour and enticing mystery, this is definitely a book that I would enjoy.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Thank you for such a concise and excellent review. I would never had guessed from the title and the first chapter that there would be so much humor. That is a surprise. I have downloaded this book and look forward to reading it!
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

Based on the review, this looks like a good mystery with a likable protagonist.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Harley sounds like a powerful character because she was secure enough with herself to live a modest, humble life. I think she would also be a good role model for many readers because she showed kindness towards her grandfather. Hopefully her character could inspire others to show more compassion for their elders.
:character-ariel:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

A character driven narrative that's seasoned with humor is right up my alley. Thanks for the wonderful review, Cecilia!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”