Official Review: One Night's Stay by C.B. Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Official Review: One Night's Stay by C.B. Collins

Post by SpencerVo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Night's Stay" by C.B. Collins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever since Twilight, the vampires in literature have enjoyed a renaissance where their reputation has little to do with brutal bloodshed and more with brooding romance and a hilarious dose of sparkle. However, if you are already sick of this trope and in search of the grotesque facet of this otherworldly species, One Night’s Stay will rekindle the visceral fear that Dracula instilled in us a long time ago.

On the first day of October, at sunset, thirteen guests drove their black cars to check in at Sunrise Inn motel. Located thirty miles away was Flags Dale, a town whose people were eagerly preparing for the annual harvest festival. Unexpectedly, what those folks harvested was no ordinary crop. The real feast occurred as the night slowly crept up on the unsuspecting guests. Out of those thirteen, only one was invited, and the rest were lured to become mere livestock for a clan of bloodthirsty creatures. Would they survive the night, or would they eventually find out they were destined to be drowned in cold blood?

At first, it was difficult to determine the core genre of One Night’s Stay. After some consideration, the most apparent answer was horror mystery. Everyone in this story had something to hide, and sometimes the supposed good guys had secrets more sinister than the baddies themselves. As the events unfolded, you would continuously question what awaited our poor victims’ fates: would it be freedom or a trap carefully laid out to devour their souls? The number of secrets decreased as the body count increased. Consequently, you would find yourself on the edge of your seat waiting for the final battle between the silver bullets and the razor-sharp fangs. Despite the chills crawling down my neck, I could not put the book down.

The protagonists of the story were not caricatures often seen in exploitative slaughtering genres. Their backgrounds, characteristics, and major flaws were fleshed out fully and consistently. Each of them might harbor a unique dark side but in this particular night, they reunited to fulfill one single goal: survival. I admired their strength and determination to rationalize and persevere in such a foreign and dangerous circumstance. Because they were no good Samaritans, it was more heartwarming to see them sacrifice their well-being and safety to protect others. These were the necessary ingredients for sympathetic and engaging characters. As a result, you would relate to and root for at least one of them.

One Night’s Stay utilized many elements of suspense and action to either heighten or ease up the tension, eventually paving the way for a climactic showdown. While the storytelling style was fast and straightforward, there were twists and turns at every corner. Despite having numerous shooting and chasing scenes, the novel was not a mindless horror flick. C.B. Collins presented some interesting introspection as he questioned the purpose of surviving when you had nothing worth fighting for. In the end, the story chose to offer no judgment. Instead, it reflected a dim ray of hope and some wicked karma, which managed to pry out a reluctant smile after all that terror.

Although the book had some minor spelling mistakes and a mix-up over the characters’ names, it was well edited. In my opinion, the exposition of the supernatural origin could have been meticulously spread throughout the final chapters instead of being hastily stuffed into a few pages. The part did its job in the story, but there was room for improvement.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. One Night’s Stay is obviously not for the folks who are easily spooked. However, to the loyal fans of mystery and horror genres, this will create an indulging experience in a chilling lonely night.

One Night's Stay
View: on Bookshelves

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

As much as I loved the Twilight series - which was a LOT - I do so adore a good "scary" and evil vampire tale, and this sounds like it has the proper ingredients in spades. Thanks so much for the introduction!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The first paragraph is an excellent introduction to this book. It definitely indicates who the right audience for this book would be. I can't say this one is for me, as I am one to buy into the more romanticized version of vampires, on the rare occasion I will read anything involving vampires at all. Wonderful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds quite interesting to me. It's like Bates motel with a vampire twist. I'll definitely have to put this on my list with the secrets the characters are hiding. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I just loved the cover of the book. So catchy! You have written a great review! Thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”