Official Review: Double Exit by Pat S. Clarke

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Double Exit by Pat S. Clarke

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Double Exit" by Pat S. Clarke.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. Double Exit by Pat S. Clarke tells a tangled tale involving ancient rumors of stolen treasure, men going into hiding, secrets within secrets, double identities, kidnap, love, lust, and the mob.

CFO of Friedlander Insurance Group, Donald Rozzi, is a man with many secrets. His whole goal in life is to accumulate wealth and live to a peaceful old age with his family. However, his company is inextricably mixed with the local mob boss, Emile Vasquez. Rozzi convinces board members to pull the plug on Vasquez's involvement. However, before Vasquez could call their bluff, someone executed a hit on Vasquez. Neither local law enforcement nor the FBI can tell whether the hit was successful. Neither can they tell who ordered the hit.

About a year and half later, Rozzi learns that Emile Vasquez had survived the attempt on his life. Not only was Vasquez alive, he had vowed to kill Rozzi and three other men. All bets are now off concerning Rozzi's plush future. When two of the men died under mysterious circumstances, Rozzi flees. So quick and thorough was his flight, that he did not even alert his wife and son concerning his plans.

Meanwhile, a retired professor friend of Rozzi's has been actively seeking a rumored pirate treasure on Jamaica. Soon Rozzi, his brother Marcus, and the professor are searching in earnest for the chests of gold coins. Their search is held in utmost secrecy as both Rozzi and Marcus are in hiding. When the professor retires from the hunt, it is left to Rozzi and Marcus to carry on.

Back in America, Rozzi's wife dies of natural causes and his son, Alan, is hired by Argon, a company that had worked closely with Rozzi before he left the country. FBI agents who wish to take down the mob once and all begin working with Alan in an attempt to locate Rozzi, find the new mob leader, and shut down the mob's operations. This search leads them to Jamaica. Complicating matters, Jamaica is run by corrupt businessmen who protect their interests by paying local law enforcement.

This book has a fascinating base plot. However, there are so many story threads, I was often confused as to what was going on. The story moved along at a very rapid pace; however, I found the overall writing style to be pedantic and somewhat disconnected. In addition, the people in the book felt "flat" and sometimes unbelievable. I would have loved to see more actual character development. The author definitely has great ideas, but needs to work on better incorporating each of the sub plots so as to make it feel less disjointed.

To some degree, it felt as though this book were written more as a script with stage directions as opposed to a novel that stands alone. In book format, the writing lacked a sense of emotion or even forward movement. However, Double Exit may be just right on the big screen; it has all the elements necessary for an action-packed thriller. Many of the scenes that were confusing in print would be instantly understood in a single well-done video shot, not to mention video format allows for easier character identification.

Lastly, this book did not give the sense at all of being professionally edited. There are spurious quote marks throughout the entire book. Conversations were not consistently introduced, leaving a bit of confusion over who was speaking. Commas were used in strange ways, such as, "These structural artistic impressions, surrounded his own beach-style two-story home." I also found unclear pronouns and misplaced modifiers. Because of an overall flat writing style, lack of general character development, and inadequate editing, I need to give this book only 1 out of 4 stars.

Double Exit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Just from your summary, it sounds confusing. I'm not sure I could keep my head with all the different plots going on. Plus, the editing would just drive me nuts. I think I'll have to pass on this one, but thanks for bearing with it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KS the Dreamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ks-the-dreamer.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by KS the Dreamer »

The plot sounds really interesting. Fron your review it looks like it has the promise of being good if the plot was tighter and the book better edited. I love a complex story web, especially if they mostly get resolved.
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I would still like to check out this book. Too bad about the editing being poor and there being so many overlying plots. I'll keep that in mind. The base plot is very interesting, hopefully when I check it out I am not too disappointed.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

this book is not my genre. and considering the highlighted errors, I'll pass it. good job on your review though
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

There does seem to be too much going on with the plot. I tend to skip over any book that includes mob involvement anyway. I was interested by the words "tangled web" but beyond that, this doesn't seem like a book worth investing any time in.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

The most confusing book I ever bumped into. It's so hateful. Thanks for such an insightful review!
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

This review starts out so promising, your description of the story makes me want to read it! The plot sounds intriguing, but poor editing and confusing transitions between characters can really take someone out of a book and frustrate a reader. I'll keep this in mind when deciding whether to read the book or not. Thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”