Official Review: Death Has 1000 Doors by Peter Worland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ViziVoir
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 285
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: Dam Witherston by Betty Jean Craige

Official Review: Death Has 1000 Doors by Peter Worland

Post by ViziVoir » 01 Dec 2018, 21:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Has 1000 Doors" by Peter Worland.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death Has 1000 Doors by Peter Worland follows a group of college student spelunkers who become trapped in a relatively unknown cave and must escape with limited supplies. It's told through the eyes of Hal, an adult college student. Almost right off the bat, some of the students die, and we follow the same set of characters for the entire novel as some of them are progressively picked off. The premise is rather simple, and for the most part, it's executed cleanly. Character interactions feel genuine, as does Hal's reactions to the events that befall him.

Simplicity, however, is one of the book's main weaknesses. The characters are introduced to the reader all at once when Hal meets them, making it feel like the author is simply describing them one after another. During the expedition itself, relationships between characters don't really change, they simply escalate as the pressure of escaping gets to the spelunkers. The female characters are also quite bland, as each is described primarily in relation to the person they're dating and their appearance. Even Hal's girlfriend, Maria, who is described as quite strong-willed, makes no effort to lead the group despite being arguably best-suited for it at one point. When combined, these factors make for fairly formulaic character development.

It's also worth mentioning that the editing in the copy I received is bewilderingly awful. There are errors from homonym mix-ups to misplaced quotation marks, and while they aren't on every single page, they're frequent enough to break immersion and make the writing feel just sloppy. What truly makes the editing special, though, is the fact that at one point, the book cuts from a chapter in the middle to the first chapter, entirely repeating the first half of the book. Towards the end, there's a chapter missing that details an entire character death. I have absolutely no idea why these things weren't caught earlier, and they made following the plot extremely hard at times.

The best part of Death Has 1000 Doors is the cave itself. The author was inspired to write the book by his own spelunking career, so the obstacles faced by the team of students are all very interesting. They never feel repetitive, and I found myself quite looking forward to seeing what the cave would throw at the characters next. It's clear that the cave was an amalgamation of the author's most exciting experiences while spelunking and the way he writes about it painted such a vivid picture that it felt nearly tangible.

Ultimately, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It has amazing scenery, but its editing is phenomenally bad. The character interactions are effective, but not particularly compelling. I'd recommend the book to people who enjoy survival stories and spelunking, assuming the editing issues are sorted out in future releases. Due to some explicit content, the book isn't appropriate for younger audiences.

Death Has 1000 Doors
View: on Bookshelves

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!

Book Lover 35
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: 360 Living: Practical guidance for a balanced life by Jacquelyn Salvador and Yvon Dalat

Post by Book Lover 35 » 03 Dec 2018, 00:47

Thanks for the honest review. The summary sounded great. I might still read it.
:tiphat:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Third Thaw by Karl J. Hanson

Post by kandscreeley » 03 Dec 2018, 08:38

" bewilderingly awful. " Love that. I've read books that way myself. It sounds a bit too simplistic myself, but the setting seems like it's well done. I think I'll have to pass on this, but I do appreciate the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 366
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: The Black Canary Diamond by Barbara L Lefka
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 04 Dec 2018, 22:51

kandscreeley wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 08:38
" bewilderingly awful. " Love that. I've read books that way myself. It sounds a bit too simplistic myself, but the setting seems like it's well done. I think I'll have to pass on this, but I do appreciate the review.
I too have read quite a few books with editing - or the lack thereof - that's "phenomenally bad", so I will also pass on reading this in the hopes that a revised edition eventually comes out.

Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: You, The People by Pablo Digenio

Post by Ice dragon » 12 Dec 2018, 15:45

Sounds like it didn't deserve those 2 stars.

Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by Erika Thomas » 13 Dec 2018, 21:14

I have encountered editing horrors such as this! You are not alone! This sounds like a great premise for a story though, and I may still read it despite the characters lacking depth and the editing atrocities. Thank you for powering through to review it for us! It's much appreciated!

Zhariah
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Currently Reading: Tandia
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Zhariah » Yesterday, 06:28

The spelunking aspect of the story sounds compelling, but the editing mistakes are enough to turn me away. If the book happens to get re-released after a more thorough editing, I would love to try it. Thank you for your detailed review of the book :)

lari03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by lari03 » Today, 09:54

I commend the effort put into this review. This story might based on previous experiences of the author. If the characters were all revealed at once, perhaps the author's element of suspense was the cave. The story could make a good reality television series, going by this review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”