Official Review: Retribution by Bill Wenham

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Official Review: Retribution by Bill Wenham

Post by HRichards »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Retribution" by Bill Wenham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spies have always held a fascination in literature. From James Bond to Jack Ryan, spy thrillers are exciting fictional adventures. They are fast paced, full of intrigue, and nothing can be taken at face value, as betrayal is always around the corner. Retribution by Bill Wenham is made in the same tradition as some of the aforementioned spy thrillers, and there are plenty of cloak-and-dagger antics to go around.

The story begins with Jack Evans, now an old man, meeting with a movie producer and recounting his involvement in a spy ring during World War II. Shortly after the meeting, the movie producer and a co-worker become fascinated with the tale, and start reading the story Evans related. The intrigue Evans was involved in focuses on a German plot to assassinate Winston Churchill and the royal family. Evans recalls the race against time by he and his cohorts to head off the plot. Much death and mayhem ensue, and the movie producers stay riveted by the writing until the climatic ending.

I ended up giving Retribution 3 out of 4 stars. The story was very intriguing, and the action keeps up a frenetic pace the whole way through. The author clearly has extensive knowledge of World War II, and the people and places mentioned all seem to be historically accurate. Those who like war thrillers should find this novel very appealing. The author also frames the story well, with the movie producers who are reading Jack’s story being just as interested as the reader. The action is intense and often bloody, so those sensitive to violence might want to shy away from this book some. Being a story set during World War II, I felt the depiction of violence was appropriate, if off-putting.

The main flaw of Retribution is the grammar. There are a good number of verb tense errors and missing commas even in the very first pages. Considering how good the story is, it’s a shame there isn’t better editing. If the author could just get a good editor in, the book would have four stars rather than three, in my opinion. The only other issue I had was that sometimes the characters didn’t seem to have real depth of emotion involving the horrors of war happening around them. Some of that might have to do with the fact that the book is rather short. Just a little more polishing would take this novel to the next level.

All things considered, this is a good war thriller. The story is strong and the action fast paced. It’s a book well worth the read, even with a few minor flaws.

Retribution
View: on Bookshelves

Like HRichards's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Great review! Though I like a good thriller, blood and gore aren't my cup of tea. The plot sounds very well thought out and accurate to the period.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a great thriller. I bet it can be pretty educational too. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

These specific grammar errors would annoy me to no end. Still, I love that there isn't a moment's pause in this one. A spy ring in WWII? Who wouldn't love that! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This sounds like an interesting thriller with a good plot. Its fast pace has piqued my interest in it even though it has minor flaws. I might check this out soon. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”