Review by Davinasmith18 -- Betrayal in Blue

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Davinasmith18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davinasmith18.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Adversity ( Relaunched) by Nelson J Fowlkes

Review by Davinasmith18 -- Betrayal in Blue

Post by Davinasmith18 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Betrayal in Blue" by Mark M. Bello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Betrayal in Blue is a fictional thriller written by Mark M. Bellow that explores many modern themes. He begins by capturing the quintessence of ordinary society. He paints a picture of quaint towns and cities with twofold characteristics of friendliness and racism. The author offers a subtle political commentary as a segue into how evil rhetoric has the power to start a chain of precarious events. The author catapults the reader into the complicated life of public servants, including the betrayal and sometimes dogmatic relationships that may exist among lawyers, and law enforcement officials.

What I really appreciated about this book was the author's ability to restore the sometimes-drab perception of public servants. While public service work is sometimes seen as routine and monotonous, the author draws attention to the prominence of making a difference through public service. He also emphasizes the extraordinary obligation, duty, and responsibility of public servants. The author introduces the thrill of the day to day uncertainty and showcases the attributes such as astute decision making and integrity that are vital in public service professions.

I also loved that in the midst of the entertainment the author found ways to captivate me with wonderfully detailed forensics and scientific vernacular. I really enjoyed the discussion on the super-glue fuming test. I also found it fascinating to step into the world of lawyers, and law enforcement officers. The book generated within me an admiration and appreciation for the institution of work. I could relate to the professional courtesy, and sense of community shared among officers. It reminded me of my time in the military and the feeling of being a family and a community with similar duties and responsibilities.

The author masterfully demonstrates the power and potency of words. He defies the logic that a picture is worth a thousand words and instead offers a courtroom dialogue that suggests spoken words have the ability to condemn or liberate an individual. Every discussion carefully adds to the emerging plot, and the characters use lively words even when describing their inner thoughts. I recognized the use of a shared language among the different groups of colleagues and professionals which again made me remember the jargon and banter I shared with fellow military members.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars because this book was fun and informative. I would recommend this book for teens, young adults, and adult readers. I believe this book has the potential to spur an interest in public service careers for teens and young adults. It is so well-written and exquisitely balances factual and fictitious that even if you are a nonfiction book lover, this book will make you love fiction.

Betrayal in Blue
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Davinasmith18's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”