Official Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Demon of Decay" by Alex C. Gates.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Demon of Decay is a horror novel by Alex C. Gates. Despite years of trying, Joey and Victoria still don’t have a child. Joey’s inability to give Victoria what she has always wanted is crushing him. Their marriage is on the verge of breaking apart.

Joey decides that they should visit his Uncle Charles and Aunt Lynn who raised him after his mother’s death. He finds them to be changed beyond recognition and living in a filthy house full of junk. Soon he starts to suspect that there’s something sinister going on with his relatives and the whole town that they’re living in. Mixed between all of that are ads for a pill that promises to solve all your problems.

I found the book to be well written and engaging. Sometimes it was hard to put it down. It’s not just a horror story, but a character-driven novel. It mostly consists of Joey’s first-person narration of the story. It has several stories that at first seem unrelated, but come together in the end.

This is not a book for those who want stories where the main characters are always good and upright citizens. In The Demon of Decay they often act in stupid ways and are downright dislikable. But they always feel like real people who make huge mistakes in troubling times. Despite its many fantasy elements, the book had a very realistic feeling to it because of its flawed characters.

One of the author’s strengths was in creating the perfect atmosphere for a horror story. The book is filled with good descriptions of grim imagery depicting urban decay and abusive homes. This is definitely a book that I would recommend to fans of horror and those who like stories with demonic entities. Any potential reader should also be warned that the book has sexual and violent content.

What I liked best about the book was that it had a very powerful and emotion-filled ending that lingered in my mind for many days. Despite all the book’s dreariness, there was still always a message of hope in its pages. This is not a particularly religious story, but it did have a strong Christian message of redemption.

The only bad thing I can say about The Demon of Decay is that there were a few grammar errors present. Mostly it was missing spaces and wrong words. Overall, the book seemed well edited. The few mistakes did not take away from my reading experience.

There were small things that I could nitpick about the plot, but no major flaws. There’s really nothing I disliked about The Demon of Decay. I would like to give it 4 stars, but because of the few errors I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Demon of Decay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This book sounds exciting. I am definitely putting it on my bookshelf. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I often buy books just on the basis of an engaging title, so this one caught my eye from the outset. You make it sound like it has just the right mix of horror and suspense to appeal to me, and I would love the chance to read it. Well done for a good review of this book.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Being a horror lover, I will definitely give this book a try. It seems to contain an interesting plot. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A pill that will solve all your problems? You know what they say. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Why do I have a feeling that's causing some of the issues? All in all, an interesting concept that I'd like to read about despite the grammatical issues. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Though the characters may seem unlikable, they are very relatable. I like when a story is relatable, I also appreciate when characters are likeable; they make me willing to continue reading and looking forward to what they want to do. As such, I don't think I'll read this one. Great review.

Thank you
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds 100% like my kind of book. It's one of my favorite genres and the plot sounds entrancing. Best of all, I love that it has flawed characters; those are the best kinds!
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

This sounds like a super interesting story. Your review has made me wonder what happened to the aunt and uncle.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”