Official Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tidal Pools" by Robert Marier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Back in the early 1950’s life was adventurous and uncomplicated for kids who lived a few minutes bike ride from the ocean in the coastal village of Somers Beach, Maine. In the summer we fished, swam and built huge sandcastles with our buddies. Sometimes we just watched the girls visiting 'from away.'" So begins Tidal Pools by Robert Marier, a legal thriller about a mysterious death set in a small seaside town in New England. When teenager Charles Atkins gets his foot caught between rocks walking by the ocean, the tide begins to rise. Waist-deep, he is rescued by Henry Brand, a dark-skinned man who lives with his wife Mary on Berry Island. They quickly become friends. Meanwhile, Reggie Wyman, a local fisherman and racist, makes trouble for Henry, holing his boat and puncturing the tyres on his pick-up truck. Later, when Charles is a law student at college in Boston, he sees a headline in the Boston Globe that reads "BODY OF LOBSTERMAN FOUND FLOATING NEAR BERRY ISLAND." Reggie Wyman is dead and Henry Brand is the primary suspect...

Marier's writing is simple and straightforward. His sentences are well-edited and never run too long, which makes the book easy to read. His descriptions of the natural environment such as the cove and the beach are evocative, engaging the senses: "The smell of the cove is an aroma I’ve never forgotten...First a bundle of seaweed, then a piece of grey driftwood before the tide finally stopped, satiated, as it touched the soft sand at the high tide line, a stone’s throw from the back porch." The descriptive passages are simple, never lingering too long on unnecessary detail. The book also includes black and white photographs of the ocean, people's homes, and the courthouse, adding character and realism to the story.

The overall feel of Tidal Pools is "small town cozy". It is a low-key legal thriller and murder mystery where the investigation just ticks over methodically up until the conclusion. There are no graphic depictions of violence or sex, which makes sense with Charles recounting much of the story to his grandchildren later in life. The blossoming romance between Charles and Judge Stilwell's daughter Susan is touching and old-fashioned, which is appropriate given the setting of the story in the 1950s and 1960s.

There are a few negatives about this book, but most of them are minor. Part of a descriptive sentence early on struck me as redundant: "...in a continual parade of small tiny waves..." because the adjectives "small" and "tiny" are synonyms and not both necessary. There are also some minor errors throughout the book, although definitely less than in some other books I have reviewed. Most of these are typographical errors or the incorrect use of punctuation. There are regular examples of an unnecessary comma after quotation marks: "'Can I ride my bike there?', he asked." This demonstrates how important it is to read - or at least look at - other professionally edited books to make sure your own punctuation is correct.

Due to the minor errors, I must rate Tidal Pools 3 out of 4 stars. In truth, I would probably rate it 3 stars anyway, given that it is a low-key story and never really reaches any great heights of tension. While it is interesting, I didn't find it as much of a compulsive page-turner as other legal thrillers by established authors. It is only a short novella so it might be possible to lengthen it a little to inject tension into the narrative, perhaps with another subplot or two. I would recommend it to those who enjoy relatively low-impact legal thrillers without graphic depictions of sex or violence.

Tidal Pools
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This book sounds great. I hope that the real killer is found. That's good that there is a lot of detail in the book.Thank you!
:tiphat:
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This sounds like a mellow read, not too fast-paced, and not boring either. Zero graphic scenes also add to its allure. The descriptions of the natural environment certainly seem like a joy to read. Great job on the review :)
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This book sounds like a grand way to pass a Sunday afternoon. I love this genre of gentle mystery set in real-life places with believable characters. Thanks for your in-depth review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The errors sound pretty minor, but legal thrillers don't really interest me much. It sounds good for those that like the genre, especially with the small town feel. I think I'll have to pass, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

It seems to me like a book I'd expect so much from; considering the title it has. I don't think this will interest me much. Ib think I'll pass on this one m thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 00:54 This book sounds great. I hope that the real killer is found. That's good that there is a lot of detail in the book.Thank you!
The real killer is found... but I can't say any more than that. :D Overall a good read.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

KristyKhem wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 16:07 This sounds like a mellow read, not too fast-paced, and not boring either. Zero graphic scenes also add to its allure. The descriptions of the natural environment certainly seem like a joy to read. Great job on the review :)
Yeah, an enjoyable read, if a little low-key compared to my usual preferred fare! Definitely some good writing in there.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 20:22 This book sounds like a grand way to pass a Sunday afternoon. I love this genre of gentle mystery set in real-life places with believable characters. Thanks for your in-depth review!
Nicely put! Those who enjoy a gentle mystery will definitely enjoy this one. Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 16:21 The errors sound pretty minor, but legal thrillers don't really interest me much. It sounds good for those that like the genre, especially with the small town feel. I think I'll have to pass, though. Thanks.
Legal thrillers are not for everyone, though at least this one stays on track with the story, without resorting to too many courtroom intricacies. Thanks for commenting!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

T_stone wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 17:14 It seems to me like a book I'd expect so much from; considering the title it has. I don't think this will interest me much. Ib think I'll pass on this one m thanks for the review.
Probably not a book for everyone, given that it is fairly low-impact, but I enjoyed it anyway. Thanks.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

As a Stephen King fan, if it's set in Maine, I'd expect a horror!
Great review!
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I love legal thrillers, and I am from Maine so that adds some nostalgia to the story. I am disappointed that you thought there was no rise and fall in the narrative. It makes me hesitant to pick up the book, despite your wonderful rating. Thanks for the read and review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”