Official Review: Who Trespass Against Us by D.P. Conway

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Official Review: Who Trespass Against Us by D.P. Conway

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Trespass Against Us" by D.P. Conway.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Trespass Against Us by D.P. Conway is a fictional telling of the Las Vegas mass shooting in 2017 and what led up to it. It focuses on the story of Stephen Paddock and his violent past, as well as the troubled lives of his father and distant relatives. There is also a subplot that tells of two of the victims from the mass shooting. Conway fictionalized these victims and tells about their upbringing and eventual deaths at the hands of Stephen.

The book goes back to detail the dark past of Stephen’s ancestors. Conway quickly moves on to tell the story of Benny Paddock, Stephen’s dad. Benny is a bank robber and an outlaw and quickly sees that his son possesses a disturbed mind. As time goes on, Stephen grows up. A series of events that take place throughout his life lead him to do the unthinkable. However, the story doesn’t end with the mass shooting he committed. There is also the tale of the judgement he faces, and all of his victims are there to see it.

Conway masterfully details all the things that Stephen went through that pushed him to the point of committing such a heinous act. Even though this version of Stephen Paddock is fictional, he is still written realistically. His father is also a well-developed character in the story. Conway manages to make the reader feel for these characters. Yet, even if they come off as sympathetic at times, it doesn’t take away from the awfulness of the acts they commit. It is also sad to read about the two best friends who later become victims of the shooting. Conway tells of their happy lives growing up and the close relationships they had with each other and their families. This makes it all the more heartbreaking knowing what will inevitably end up happening to them.

The only major problem with this book is the grammatical mistakes. There were easily over ten mistakes in the entire book. One of them, on page 37, was a piece of dialogue that read, “I said let me see that eye Benny!” Even though everything else about this book was well done, the errors were distracting. It’s nothing that another round of editing can’t fix, though. Once it’s polished up, this book will be a perfect read.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story flows very well and the characters are all amazing. There is a clear contrast between the evil that plagued the shooter’s life, and the good that surrounded the victims’ lives. I would have given this book a 4 out of 4 if not for the grammar errors. I recommend this book to anyone who likes fictional retellings of real events. This wouldn’t be the best book for those who find violent acts disturbing or triggering, however.

Who Trespass Against Us
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I'm not a fan of the genre, but the title made me think the piece is about something else. It's also amazing how the author has written this so quickly enough to have it done only a year after the real events took place. Tragedies, whether in books or in real life, are still sad.

Thank you for your succinct review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book sounds good, but I feel that I couldn't read this book. Great review.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

The plot of this book doesn't appeal to me at all, but your review was excellent.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Very intriguing, although the errors are definitely a turn-off. Thank you very much for this review!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love that you pointed out the contrast between the victims' lives and the perpetrator's.
An interesting title and cover. I wouldn't have guessed at the subject matter, but now that I know what this book is about, I would say both are appropriate and well chosen. Wonderful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'd be very interested to see which of this is fiction and which is fact. I know many wonder why he did what he did. This book sounds like it's worth taking a look. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

The plot sounds riveting. I think I would try it someday. You have written a beautiful review!
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

It's a very interesting concept, I've read quite a few creative takes on tragedies, yet I find it unusual to do it on something so recent.
It must make for a heartbreaking read, nice review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow, this is definitely a dark topic. I would be very interested if the account wasn't a fictional one. If the author knew Paddock in some way and really could explain why this man turned to committing a horrible crime I would really love to read about it.
Thank you for your honest review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I like how the author alternately detailed the lives of the perpetrator and the victims. The errors are a pity.

Thank you for the great review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a very interesting story line. I would be interested in reading about Stephen's past. I am especially curious about his mother?? This one will go on my list. Thanks for your compelling review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”