Review by acremer -- The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
acremer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acremer.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Review by acremer -- The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by acremer » 21 Nov 2018, 22:55

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell is a crime thriller that will hook you from the very beginning and keep you on your toes until the very end. The story is set in a small town in New Zealand and follows two police officers that work in the organized crime division. These two police officers specifically deal with the lives of gangsters. When a hostage situation pops up in the small town of Lawrence, Nick and Tobe are called in to work the scene. When everything goes wrong and one of the hostages comes up missing, Nick and Tobe are responsible for finding the gang members behind the situation and attempting to find the missing hostage. As Nick and Tobe continue their search, they begin to uncover many truths, some of which are very startling. Along the way they discover that not all cops are good, not all murderers are bad, and not all hostage situations are as they seem.

Finn Bell writes a striking crime thriller that will keep you guessing until the very end. The novel is written beautifully and had very few grammatical mistakes. The novel is written in a way that makes it easy and quick to read.

I loved how the novel’s chapter titles clearly represented the part of the story that the reader was currently following. The novel does jump around between three perspectives so this was a really nice addition to the novel that kept me from being confused. The only thing that I didn’t like was a lack of connection between the gangsters and an important figure, Sylvie. You never really understand the connection between them and the reason for what she does (for lack of spoilers, this is all I will say but I believe that any other reader and the author will understand what I mean).

This novel does have a fair amount of language so it would not appeal to any readers that will be offended by the use of obscene language. This book also contains some graphic descriptions of wounds, especially gun shot wounds, therefore it would bother any readers that had issues with graphic descriptions. This novel would appeal to anyone who is unbothered by the above mentioned issues and who is interested in crime and thriller novels.

Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The book was an easy read and very entertaining. It held my attention and was a page turner. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good crime thriller.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like acremer's review? Post a comment saying so!

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Whisper In MY Ear
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie » 05 Dec 2018, 06:10

Along the way they discover that not all cops are good, not all murderers are bad, and not all hostage situations are as they seem.
I'm not deliberately looking for a book of this genre. However, I believe that we are all flawed, yet "nobody among us is beyond redemption" as what one wise man once said. Thank you for your succinct review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

acremer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acremer.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by acremer » 03 May 2019, 17:50

Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”