Official Review: Closer than a Brother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Closer than a Brother

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Closer than a Brother" by Christy Stevenson Scott.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One man, a criminal, is responsible for the majority of the city's crime. Prostitution, drugs, dirty deals, murder... all trace back to one man. Lieutenant Kevin Larson has made it his own personal mission to bring down the crime lord, yet all he has to go on is the name Tim Rush. No one has ever seen Tim Rush. No one knows anyone who has seen Tim Rush, yet Lieutenant Larson knows in his gut that this man is not a mere myth, but a real man who could be brought to justice. What Larson's partner, Michael, does not understand is that Larson's determination was born out of a desperate need to find his wife's killer.

Closer Than a Brother by Christy Stevenson Scott is primarily a glimpse into the mind of a psychopath. Tim Rush is but an alternate identity for a man who is known by most as a successful businessman. Rush uses the businessman facade to hide his true self; it is obvious that he views people as objects to serve his own needs. Not only does he not feel regret when he hurts another person, he relishes their pain, relives it again and again, and actively seeks additional opportunities to satisfy his thirst for violence.

Up until now Tim Rush has left no tangible clues to his real identity. Even though Lieutenant Larson has been searching for the murderer for more than a decade, the man remains a mystery. The real hunt is on when Larson calls his partner with cryptic instructions and Michael arrives at the scene in time to witness Larson's home being blown up with Larson still inside. Stunned, Michael flees with his partner's daughter and takes on the responsibility of finding Tim Rush. Can Michael prevent additional murders? Can he protect Larson's daughter Amy? Who is Tim Rush, and why is he so determined to bring down the Larson family?

The author has mapped out a thrilling plot. From the prologue to the end of the last chapter, real people jump off the page at you. Surprises, plot twists, action, as well as a smidge of romance are found in Closer Than a Brother. I found the writing style and general flow to be easy to process and enjoyable. The author gives more than one perspective throughout the book, so that the reader holds to some degree the privileged position of "all-knowing" watcher. While I enjoy reading with this advantage, in some cases it was a little frustrating, like watching a movie and screaming for someone to "RUN!!!" or shouting,"not THAT way, idiot!"

I found the conflict between the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde style character of Tim Rush to be intriguing. How does a psychopath process events? How do they stifle their evil inclinations long enough to charm all those they come in contact with? I felt this book gave some insight into this particular type of personality deviation. To be honest, Tim Rush gave me the chills. The knowledge of who Tim Rush was when he assumed his other identity was worse.

I felt that this book was overall professionally edited. I found only a few minor errors, not enough to decrease a star rating. While the author was quite careful to not include graphic depictions of violence, even the suggestions were horrifying enough to not recommend this to the teenage audience. If you are interested in a wild action/criminal thriller, this is the book for you. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Closer than a Brother
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

"While I enjoy reading with this advantage, in some cases it was a little frustrating, like watching a movie and screaming for someone to "RUN!!!" or shouting,"not THAT way, idiot!""

Definitely know this feeling. :) It says a lot about the way the author handled the plot and the writing. I'm completely sold. Thanks for this wonderful review!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This sounds like an action-packed ride with a side of suspense and fear! This review makes me want to get my hands on this book - well done!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Thrillers like this always make me want to find out exactly how, after so many years, a criminal is brought to justice. The 4/4 for plot twists and action make this book one I will definitely have to check out. Great review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book seems like a full package to me; right from its plot, characters, suspense and style of writing. I definitely want to check this out. Nice review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This book sounds fantastic . I like Larson's motivation to find this guy, but is there proof that he committed all those crimes? I hope he finds his wife's killer. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

A book with a trilling plot always make the day for a reader, good job
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one definitely sounds quite suspenseful. I do hope the crime Lord is taken down. It's a bit much for me with it's graphic nature, but I appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am definitely interested; I am a sucker for crime mysteries. This villain seems to be really horrible, the wolf in sheep's clothing hiding in plain sight. I wonder what the title signifies.

I just finished another book by the same author, her latest. Closer Than a Brother was her first book; I believe it is also the first in a now-popular series. Way to go, Christy!
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

I love complicated murder mystery plots and this one sounds right up my alley. The main characters the protagonist and his nemesis both sound well developed. When as a reader I can visualize the plot it makes it all that more interesting to me. This is one that I can't wait to read.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

This sounds like a very intriguing book and I'm very excited to pick it up. But I feel you gave away a spoiler telling us that his house blows up with him still inside. I am a little disappointed that this was allowed through in a review. Regardless, I will still be picking this up to read about the interactions of Larson, Michael, and Tim Rush. Thanks for reading and reviewing!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

A investigator looking for his wife's murderer, a psychopath who is the ultimate crime king pin, I'm very intrigued. Look forward to how the books switch of perspective from character to character plays out.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Erika Thomas wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 19:26 This sounds like a very intriguing book and I'm very excited to pick it up. But I feel you gave away a spoiler telling us that his house blows up with him still inside. I am a little disappointed that this was allowed through in a review. Regardless, I will still be picking this up to read about the interactions of Larson, Michael, and Tim Rush. Thanks for reading and reviewing!
Hee hee, not a spoiler, but I can’t tell you why it isn’t, or I really WOULD give out spoiler 😳
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

A crime thriller with a look into the psychopath's mind? I'm in!
Thanks for the great review!
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

This kind of books with lots of action, keeps you on the edge of your seat, not wanting to be disturbed. Seems like a thriller filled with suspense. Nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”