Official Review: Sacrificial Lam by Gary Guinn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Sacrificial Lam by Gary Guinn

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sacrificial Lam" by Gary Guinn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sacrificial Lam by Gary Guinn is a thriller that revolves around Dr. Lambert "Lam" Corso, an English professor at a southern conservative college. Lam was a liberal activist, and he was very popular on campus for supporting homosexuality and immigration. Stirring up controversy and getting into heated arguments were normal for Lam. When he got a threatening "Your judgment is death" note, he played it down against the advice of his wife, Susan, and his friend, Don. The threats turned to violence as Lam was beaten up and almost stabbed to death on campus. Involving the police, campus security, and a home security system did little to deter Lam's assailant from breaking into and vandalizing his home. His wife's business was also vandalized. The police had no leads as the assailant seemed to be a professional. Lam felt compelled to go against his beliefs by acquiring a gun to protect his family. How would this decision affect his family? How far was Lam willing to go to protect his family? Would Lam survive this threat?

Reading the book's description and finding out that the book contained some of my favorite elements and touched a lot of controversial topics had me very excited. I had concerns about the book not meeting my expectations, but after reading I'm pleased to say that it exceeded those expectations. The author uses an intriguing action and suspense-filled prologue to set the tone for the book. He did very well to give believable details about each character that explained their actions.

Sacrificial Lam is fast-paced with a very clear plot, which made it difficult for me to put the book down once I started reading. I liked the way Gary expertly transitioned from one scene to another, especially where he went back and forth between the scene that Lam was attacked on campus and the scene where Susan was attacked at their home. I felt that the suspense in the story climaxed at that point. The book highlighted so many relevant issues like religious extremism, sexuality-based discrimination, abuse, incest, rape, and guns among others. I would have liked the author to have given the conservative characters more room to express the reasons for some of their opinions on these issues.

Furthermore, one of the main things I always look out for while reading books is good editing. Nothing kills the credibility of one's work faster than a book filled with mistakes. On that note, Sacrificial Lam is well edited, and this helped me navigate through the book easily. It also helped that the timeline in the book was clear.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Sacrificial Lam. It was fun trying to figure out who was responsible for the attempts on Lam's life using the clues the author provided. I was able to figure it out long before Gary revealed who it was, but there were other twists towards the end that surprised me. I would recommend this book to fans of suspense and mystery stories. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There wasn't anything I disliked about Sacrificial Lam.

Sacrificial Lam
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Thank you. I’m a big fan of this genre and on your recommendation I’ll be adding this book to my shelves. It sounds like an enjoyable whodunit type story. Lovely review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This book sounds like a great thriller. I like that there are a lot of political issues in the book. I wonder if he is going to change his mind about buying a gun. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I so totally started to select this book when I saw it posted a couple of weeks ago, but something held me back. I'm therefore glad that it was a great read and that you got to enjoy it so much. Now, I'll have to find some time to read it as well. Thanks for the confirmation.
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

Sounds like an interesting thriller story. I like that the story includes relevant issues. Nice review.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This will be a lovely trilleer with enough suspence. great job
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. I feel sorry for Lam. You should always be able to state your opinion; we should be able to agree to disagree as adults. Still, due to some of the themes, I don't think this one is for me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Thanks for your well detailed and thorough review. This book seems really interesting. I like that it's packed with suspense and mystery.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a great read indeed. Your review has outlined the book's strengths. A thriller with good suspense to keep readers engaged. I think I'll check this book put. Thanks for the detailed summary.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

This book seems really intriguing, I like that there are a lot of political issues in the book and I hope i get to read it soon. Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”