Review by Sushan -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Review by Sushan -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am not sure where to start, what to write, and where to end. Thoughts are flooding to my mind, and I am afraid that I will end up not writing a review, but a book. Though it is pretty difficult, I will try my best to keep this review as short as possible.

Days of the Giants by R J Petrella is a medium sized book that has only 392 pages. The book is divided into 67 chapters, and these are grouped into 6 parts. Each part consists of about 10 chapters. This book is categorized under the C/T/M/H genre, but it has crimes, politics, romance, a historical component, and a bit of almost everything.

Slater Barnes, a medical student who is concerned about the spiritual aspect of being a doctor, decides to go to a public health care facility, the Boston City Hospital, for his internship. With this decision he loses his long term girlfriend, and also at the same time he is diagnosed to have a deadly, brain aneurysm. Yet, he goes on with his decision, and finally becomes the saviour of the hospital and the hero of all the staff members of the hospital.

I did my own research, and came to know that there has been actually a public hospital named ‘Boston City Hospital’ in Boston, and it has been merged with the Boston University Medical Centre in 1996 to form the Boston Medical Centre, which is still functioning. Since the author has been living in Boston, and has been practising medicine since early 1990s, he might have seen the conflicts regarding merging the two hospitals. He takes us to that situation via this fiction.

This book is related to me personally in more than one way. I am a final year medical student who is awaiting to go for the internship in a few more months. And here we have a totally free healthcare system, including medical education, in which everyone is treated same without any exceptions. Recently there was an attempt to merge private medical education into the free system, but all the medical professionals raised against it, and the attempt was failed. So, for me, this book is not just some fiction.

The book is written in narrative style. There are actually two narrators, Slater Barnes, and his father who is looking upon from heaven. This was a new experience for me, and it was pretty impressive. What was witnessed and done by Slater is told by him, and what he could not possibly been aware of is told by his father. So, the reader can get the whole picture without raising the question, “How did Slater become aware of that?”

The scenic and background descriptions were superb. They took me actually to the scene, and I could easily visualize everything. It was more like watching a movie rather than reading a book. The descriptions about people including their minor details and actions made the story livelier. Action as well as humour were included wherever necessary and appropriate.

It was such an interesting read that made me reluctant to keep it away even to take down notes for this review. The simple language and the short chapters aided a quick read. Though the book carried tremendous details about hospital setup, political issues, and personal issues of the characters, I never felt tired or bored. And I did not see any of those as unnecessary.

Occasionally I spotted some mistakes such as use of wrong words and wrong punctuations, but they did not cause even a slight interruption to my reading experience. Anyway, I am not so sure that this book will be interesting to a non-medical personnel to the extent that it was interesting to me, with all the extensive medical details. But the author has not kept them in dark, and he has always explained the medical terms without disrupting the flow of the story.

I would heartily give this a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would have gone for a higher rating if I could. I recommend this book for all the physicians, and who are interested in medicine, politics, as well as the readers of C/T/M/H genre.

I will end my review with a quotation from the book. I really liked that statement, and I think that is pretty much true.
The problem is that docs weren’t trained to band together and fight the establishment. It’s really unnatural for them, like Lindy had said to me. They were trained to survive by themselves, outcompete each other, and become the establishment
Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sushan's review? Post a comment saying so!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I could visualize the book while reading your review. It's fantastic and I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for the review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Amy+++ wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:06 I could visualize the book while reading your review. It's fantastic and I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the kind comment. It is my pleasure that my review was useful to you 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sushan wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:08
Amy+++ wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:06 I could visualize the book while reading your review. It's fantastic and I can't wait to read this book. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the kind comment. It is my pleasure that my review was useful to you 👍👍
Very. I wasn't too crazy about the cover of the book, but the review defiantly pulled me in. Thanks again!
Sushan Ekanayake

Amy+++ wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:13
Sushan wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:08
Very. I wasn't too crazy about the cover of the book, but the review defiantly pulled me in. Thanks again!
I am really glad to hear that 😍😍

- Bill Gates -

Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I can feel your appreciation for the book. Go on and be a great doctor like Slater, Sushan!
Sushan Ekanayake

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 14:21 I can feel your appreciation for the book. Go on and be a great doctor like Slater, Sushan!
Thank you very much for that. And thanks for the comment as well 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Medium sized book? How big of books do you usually read? I like that the author actually has a lot of things in common with the character in the book. Good luck with your last year of medical school. Early congratulations!
:tiphat:
Sushan Ekanayake

Book Lover 35 wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 01:27 Medium sized book? How big of books do you usually read? I like that the author actually has a lot of things in common with the character in the book. Good luck with your last year of medical school. Early congratulations!
I might call a book like Harry Potter a large book. I consider that more with the time available for me, rather than the actual size of the book. Thanks for wishing for my good future and for the kind comment 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The fact that the book is mostly related to physicians and people interested in medicine makes me reluctant to give it a try. However, the action and humour that seems to be contained in the story have piqued my interest. Great review!
Sushan Ekanayake

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 01:42 The fact that the book is mostly related to physicians and people interested in medicine makes me reluctant to give it a try. However, the action and humour that seems to be contained in the story have piqued my interest. Great review!
Thank you for the kind comment. I agree that this may not be much palatable to non-medical personnel

- Bill Gates -

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like a book that is right up the alley of a final year med student!
I really enjoyed your review - thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Sushan Ekanayake

Bianka Walter wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 10:33 This sounds like a book that is right up the alley of a final year med student!
I really enjoyed your review - thanks!
Thanks for the comment 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It's a great thing when one can relate so much to a book.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Sushan Ekanayake

Kajori50 wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 11:44 It's a great thing when one can relate so much to a book.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Thank you for spending time to read my review and keeping a kind comment 👍👍

- Bill Gates -

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”