Featured Official Review: The Brilliant Game by A. Gavazzoni

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Featured Official Review: The Brilliant Game by A. Gavazzoni

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Brilliant Game" by A. Gavazzoni.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Brilliant Game is the third installment in the Hidden Motives series written by A. Gavazzoni and published in March of 2018. Following Behind the Door and Lara’s Journal, The Brilliant Game follows the initial characters from the first two stories, allowing readers a more in-depth view in to their lives. Following the same structure of the first two books, the story is told in a flip-fop manner back and forth between Simone Bennet in the present day, to what she is continuing to read from Lara’s Journal in the past. From the first novel, we are told about the life and death of Lara, a sexually disturbed young woman who endured a lifetime of pain and suffering while expressing her thoughts through a journal she had written for several years.

With The Brilliant Game picking up right where the second installment left off, I was quickly able to dive right back in to the story, despite having read it over a year ago. The story features the main character Simone, who is a psychologist specializing in sexual behavior disorders. Due to a psychotic stalker who has tormented and kidnapped her in the past, Simone is dealing with serious issues in The Brilliant Game, all the while trying to regain any bit of normalcy that she once had. With the same lunatic once again toying with her life and everyone in it, Simone is determined to get him behind bars where he belongs. Hoping that the journals written by Lara will help to bring understanding to Simone and a few of her patients, she continues to read and analyze Lara’s story. With the continuation of Lara’s story, readers are given even more insight to her despair and turmoil throughout her young life.

With twists and turns from beginning to end, The Brilliant Game is perfect for readers who enjoy suspenseful dramas that are sure to stay in your mind long after turning the last page. With careful and consistent editing throughout the novel, I was able to read the whole story with no complaints. I truly enjoy the author’s writing style and would be more than willing to read anything else she decides to gift readers with.

I was so pleased to be given the opportunity to read and review yet another novel by the incredible A. Gavazzoni. Although the writing offers a clear and descriptive insight to the proceeding novels, I would highly recommend starting with the first book in the series and following through until the end. As with the first two books in the series, I find it necessary to give a reader’s discretion as this book contains graphic sexual scenes and language that would not be suitable for younger readers or those uncomfortable with explicit content.

I cannot give enough praise for the final installment in the Hidden Motives series and will happily give The Brilliant Game a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Although I am sad to see the story end, I was satisfied with the full conclusion given to the characters. When I finished the final page, I released an audible sigh while reeling in all the emotions I've felt since the beginning. I’ve already recommended this series to several friends and will continue to look for other novels by A. Gavazzoni.

The Brilliant Game
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Franc93 »

From the look of things this sounds like an interesting read.If it is true what you say, that the writing offers a clear and descriptive insight to the last two novels,then I don't really think it is a must to go for the previous installments. Thanks for a worthy review.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Oh wow. What an endorsement! I have added this to my must-read list immediately, as it is rare to find such heavy praise with very little criticism for a book. It sounds like you really enjoyed this series - I hope I can pick it up as a stand alone novel as well. Thanks for your comments.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A sexually disturbed woman? That's... Unique. It sounds intense and in the line of the other books in the series. However, it's not for me. Glad you enjoyed it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you all for checking it out! Highly recommend!!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Itzkayk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Itzkayk »

"The Brilliant Game " by A. Gavazzoni was an boring book for some chapters and exciting the next it was a little confusing and not specific.Over all my opinion of this but was good but not great.
Kourtney Bradley

Itzkayk wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 19:18 "The Brilliant Game " by A. Gavazzoni was an boring book for some chapters and exciting the next it was a little confusing and not specific.Over all my opinion of this but was good but not great.

I’m sorry you feel that way. Did you read the first two in the series?
–Vera Nazarian
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

Honestly could only read halfway through your review. While your review was good just the details provided about the book tell me its not for me. Thanks for the share.
Kourtney Bradley

Sweetp120 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 17:20 Honestly could only read halfway through your review. While your review was good just the details provided about the book tell me its not for me. Thanks for the share.
Understandable. Thank you for checking it out!
–Vera Nazarian
Oyegbemi+122
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oyegbemi+122 »

"The brilliant game" by a. Gavazzoni is an awesome novel and i love the text.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I like the sound of this. While books that form part of a series are not generally my preference, I think a strong story such as this could pull it off. I liked your review and am glad you enjoyed this book so much.
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out! One of my new favorites!
–Vera Nazarian
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

Based on your review, I might need to check this out. Hopefully, I will be able to start with this book and not be lost having not previously read the other books in the series.

Great review :D
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

I might have to check this out but I'm going to have to start at the beginning since it picks up where it left off.

Good job on your review. :D
Kourtney Bradley

Keevan wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 17:47 I might have to check this out but I'm going to have to start at the beginning since it picks up where it left off.

Good job on your review. :D

Thank you! 😊
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”