Review by Ehartl -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Ehartl -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by Ehartl »

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The short story collection It’s Hard to be a Vampire, written by Viktoria Faust, is a collection of strange, macabre, and sometimes gory tales intended to frighten and intrigue. Each tale has a separate tone and characters, ranging from monsters to madmen, but all are connected in the creepy theme and atmosphere. Each story is only a few pages long, making for a quick but enjoyable read.

This collection is well-written and genuinely unique. Its style reminds me of everything I love about the popular HBO show Tales from the Crypt. This makes for a fun and shocking read with crazy twists that a reader may or may not see coming. Many of the stories in the collection have unusual twists. Some are quirky and some are serious, but all of them took me to a place that forced me to think about the real possibilities of the strange and unusual being present in the world.

Another highlight of Faust’s book is that each story is so different that anyone reading the collection will never get bored and will always guess at what might be coming next. When I read the first story, I thought the entire book was going to be filled with light-hearted and humorous tales. I was completely thrown for a loop with the second story, which is more serious and thought-provoking. Overall, the completely separate nature of all the stories help the collection as a whole rather than hurt it.

However, the same quirkiness and uniqueness that help the book may also have hurt it in small ways. For instance, the story Behind the Door is a bit difficult to follow. I love the action sequences and the fear the tone of the piece instills, but I had a difficult time picturing the scenes and following the language of the tale. This happened to me with more than this one story. Although each story is a strong piece and worth reading, this confusion does detract from the overall enjoyment of the book.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The quirky and macabre atmosphere of the book is a delight no one should miss out on. However, this book must be read carefully in order to avoid any confusion the language of certain stories can cause. I recommend this book for lovers of the fun, crazy, and scary sides of Halloween. On the other hand, this book might not be enjoyable for those who have a weak stomach or have a hard time suspending disbelief for a little while.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ehartl's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”