Official Review: Darkness at the Edge of Tomorrow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Darkness at the Edge of Tomorrow

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darkness at the Edge of Tomorrow" by Holiday Cognac.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surprising and gripping, Darkness at the Edge of Tomorrow by Holiday Cognac chronicles the events of one stormy night inside an isolated restaurant.

To Barbara and Mr. Holiday, the day starts like any other except for the brewing storm. As the tempest looms closer it drags along the wannabe space travelers with their hideous robes. They are followed by the hippie couple with the quietest baby ever witnessed. Lady Agatha sits at one of the restaurant’s booths waiting for her husband to break the devastating news. John, the racist truck driver, arrives and by his demeanor alone, Mr. Holiday can tell he is going to be trouble. Another person arrives. One person dies and is followed by another, then another. Who is causing the deaths? Is everyone who they say they are?

The best feature of the book, Darkness at the Edge of Tomorrow is its suspense. As the night progresses, the events that are about to follow are definitely unpredictable. Each participant is suspicious of the other’s intentions. Their goals are uncertain and the stories they tell are doubtful. The darkness that begins to creep in makes the tension rise even higher. With each person having their own unique set of experiences and beliefs, it is impossible to tell what will happen next.

The characters are unique and imperfect. Each of them struggles with different issues plaguing their lives. Their differences make this party even more intriguing. They are also from different walks of life. Phil, Lady Agatha’s husband, is well accustomed to the demanding corporate life that the hippies direct blame for the devastation in America. John, the truck driver, has no respect for the hippies and soon enough, a scuffle arises. Since the plot includes snippets of each character’s background, I was able to relate and understand their viewpoints.

The dialogue in the book is used adeptly to tell the story and build each character. The sarcasm that appears in some of the statements and the emotions that are revealed through different conversations makes the story even more appealing. The author also uses subtle humor to make the plot even more interesting. The 1987 setting is suitable for the plot and explains why the people are stuck together until morning without any chance of communication with outsiders. The raging storm also accentuates the apprehension in the restaurant and also foreshadows the shocking events that are to follow.

Darkness at the Edge of Tomorrow by Holiday Cognac is a great read for every reader who appreciates thrilling stories that include murder and which are set in a bygone era. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Darkness at the Edge of Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This book sounds like a modern take on the tried and true 'death at the Manor'- type murder mystery - full of twists and surprises. It is definitely on my list to read now. Thanks for the interesting review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy books with suspense but not necessarily horror. This one does sound interesting, especially as it is set in a previous error. I'll have to look into this one a bit more. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

The characters seems yo be well built and the story line is great, thanks for the great review.
ekwe1
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ekwe1 »

this book seems hard to understand but it is a very tragedy book
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

There is nothing as fascinating as a good old murder mystery to keep you at the edge of your seat. From your review i can tell that this is indeed an interesting read. I cant wait to find out who is carrying out the killings and why.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This sounds like an interesting book filled with thrills and suspense. Also, the mystery in it is there to keep readers at the edge of their seats. I'll like to read this one. Nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

This sounds like a fantastic book! It reminds me of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. I can't wait to pick this book up! Between the setting in a restaurant in the middle of a storm in 1987 and the difference in the characters' backgrounds, it sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks so much for the review!
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

Sounds like Cluedo! A good mystery, to keep you guessing over the holiday period.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

It's always good when a story has well developed characters. From your review, the rising suspense seems to be really well written. I'll definitely be reading this one.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”