Official Review: Of Bread And Wine by Edward Izzi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Of Bread And Wine by Edward Izzi

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Bread And Wine" by Edward Izzi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Monsignor Rob Cavalieri heard the deathbed confession of Cardinal Masellis. The Cardinal unburdened his heavy heart. His terror of eternal judgment urged him to reveal his participation in numerous dishonest ventures. The Mafia Cardinal confessed specific details about the death of Pope John Paul I. He spoke about the priceless Coins of Gregorio.

Rob sought out his friend, Michael Prescott, for legal counsel. Michael was an international law attorney. He worked with Rob to determine the veracity of the confession. At the same time, Sienna DiVito, a reporter for the Washington Post, was in Rome. Her assignment was to write a story about this Vatican Scandal. She and Michael meet and a romance develops.

The news of the confession sparked the interest of several groups. The Cardinals, the Cesario mafia family, the press, and the Vatican have all put their hand in the fire. Will anyone come forth as gold to defend the honor of the Vatican? Will the confession uncover the location of the Coins of Gregorio?

In Of Bread and Wine, Edward Izzi addresses the subject of placing trust in a corrupt clergy. The story occurs in Rome and concerns the historical facts surrounding the death of Pope John Paul I. The author manifests an extraordinary knowledge of these events. The writing style and pacing of the story keep you turning the pages.

Michael, as the main character, tells his story from the first person point of view. The remaining sections of the story apply the universal third person point of view. This approach works well and allows the reader to understand the actions of all the characters.

Izzi does a wonderful job of moving the reader through a diverse emotional gamut. There are many scenes to warm the heart. Readers celebrate the romance between Michael and Sienna. An emotional reunion between long-lost family members moves you to tears. These scenes contrast with other spine-chilling images. The treacherous activities of the mafia cause your heart to pound and your blood to chill.

The other main character in the story is the press. Izzi explores the manner in which journalists acquire their material. Readers must judge whether their actions are ethical or self-serving.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story line, pacing, and research done by the author were excellent. Unfortunately, numerous spelling errors force me to subtract one point. I recommend this book to people who enjoy stories about scandals in the church. This book exposes the temptations power places before even the holiest and most honored among us. This story would also fascinate anyone who appreciates thrillers.

Of Bread And Wine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

This really sounds like a great book, and right up my street. I love thrillers of this type and your review makes it sound like it’s worth a read. I don’t generally like a first person narrative, but maybe it would will work better for me since it is combined with the third person, as you say. Many thanks for your comments.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

This really sounds like a great book, and right up my street. I love thrillers of this type and your review makes it sound like it’s worth a read. I don’t generally like a first person narrative, but maybe it would will work better for me since it is combined with the third person, as you say. Many thanks for your comments.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

sonya01 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 17:27 This really sounds like a great book, and right up my street. I love thrillers of this type and your review makes it sound like it’s worth a read. I don’t generally like a first person narrative, but maybe it would will work better for me since it is combined with the third person, as you say. Many thanks for your comments.
This book really fascinated me. Hope you will enjoy it too.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an informative and enlightening read, and it seems like one I would enjoy as well after the author sends it for another round of editing. Thank you for the review!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

A well thought book, and properly executed book. this a must read for me. Thanks for the good review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book seems like an enlightening and engaging book. It is also a well researched book into the Vatican and its scandals. Its touch of romance might pique the interest of readers that enjoy romance novels. Thanks for this review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Joshkee0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joshkee0 »

A really thrilling story line. Looks like a very good book for anyone looking for a romantic come religious book. A must read for me.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This seems quite interesting, but the romance seems a bit unnecessary. I haven't read it though, so I could be wrong.
Anyway, congratulations on the review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I wasn't interested at first, but your great review totally changed my mind, and now I really want to read this. Thanks for the warning about the unfortunate spelling errors.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

gen_g wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 23:57 This sounds like an informative and enlightening read, and it seems like one I would enjoy as well after the author sends it for another round of editing. Thank you for the review!
I thoroughly enjoyed it, even with the spelling errors. I so wanted to give it a 4! Hope you will give it a try.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

fredrick otieno wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 00:41 A well thought book, and properly executed book. this a must read for me. Thanks for the good review.
The author did an excellent job of researching and writing. This is really a good read!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

T_stone wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 01:54 This book seems like an enlightening and engaging book. It is also a well researched book into the Vatican and its scandals. Its touch of romance might pique the interest of readers that enjoy romance novels. Thanks for this review.
I enjoyed the different themes. The author doesn't overwhelm you with the scandals, but balances it out with the romantic scenes. This is a well-written book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Joshkee0 wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 04:50 A really thrilling story line. Looks like a very good book for anyone looking for a romantic come religious book. A must read for me.
Thanks, Josh. Hope you enjoy it!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sahar Majid wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 08:44 This seems quite interesting, but the romance seems a bit unnecessary. I haven't read it though, so I could be wrong.
Anyway, congratulations on the review!
Thanks for reading. I appreciate your comments!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”