Review by Niela -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Niela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niela.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Niela -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Niela »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

WDS Denise Stewart joins Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan’s Serious Crimes unit in Strandtown Police Station in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Mid-twenties, attractive and bright, she is anxious about her new role and how her new colleagues will react when they find out that she earned her promotion by exposing a corrupt officer in her previous job posting. It’s not long before she’s working on her first case – a particularly grotesque murder. It takes place at 11.05pm one Tuesday. Then exactly one week later there is another murder at the same time and in the same way. With a clear pattern emerging, WDS Stewart and the team must race against time to solve the case before the murderer strikes a third time.

The 11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare is a fast paced murder mystery with a well thought out plot and realistic characters. It is the second volume in the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries, but I wouldn’t have known this as it works seamlessly as a standalone book. I really liked the author’s style of writing and how he manages to weave the various elements of the plot and the characters’ stories together. I eagerly read page after page, drawn into WDS Stewart’s investigation and found myself rooting for her and wanting to know more. Why is she so prickly? How will she handle the romantic attentions of good-looking detective, Tom Allen, as well as charismatic Crown Prosecutor, Robert Turner? Why is a stalker targeting Detective Allen as he gets close to WDS Stewart? Who is her mysterious informant and can they be trusted? And what is the connection with a suicide case from twelve years ago? All these questions and more are answered as the author brings all the clues together and ties everything up in a suspenseful and thrilling conclusion.

I normally have very little interest in modern murder mysteries but I found this to be a really gripping read. As more clues came to light there were plenty of plot twists and turns, potential suspects, red herrings and action to keep me guessing and engrossed until the very end. I plan on reading the other books in the series now and hope that they are as good as this one.

I would recommend The 11:05 Murders to readers who enjoy fast paced crime thrillers with complex plots, engaging characters and an insight into police procedure.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Niela's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”