Official Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Official Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Man of the Sea" by Nathan Kippley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This novel gives new life to an old urban legend. In Man of the Sea, author Nathan Kippley answers the question “What if the scary stories of our childhood are true?”. In this book, the legend of the “Man of the Sea” is presented as a familiar one in Florida Keys. The Man of the Sea is a mysterious lone fisherman who attacks unsuspecting boats. This legendary figure is different than standard pirates. The Man of the Sea doesn’t just want to pillage your valuables. All this villian really wants is to torture and kill people. According to the tales, very few have ever escaped The Man of the Sea with their lives.

The novel follows two brothers, Joe and Silas, as they start their new lives in the Florida Keys. They arrive with nothing but a little bit of cash and their dreams of becoming fisherman. At first, they think their biggest problem will be the greedy boat salesman who tries to hustle them. They quickly learn, however, that there are much more dangerous things waiting for fisherman in the Florida Keys.

Man of the Sea also tells the story of Billie, a woman who’s leisurely boat trip with her husband turns into a fight for her life. Billie and her husband aren’t familiar with the legend of the Man of the Sea because they are visitors passing through the area. They quickly learn firsthand how horrible this mysterious man is. Billie must try to survive the terrifying situation the Man of the Sea puts her in. The stories of Billie, Joe, and Silas, all eventually intersect for a thrilling finish. The book ends on a cliffhanger that leaves you excited to read the next one in the series.

This book was a fun and entertaining read. I finished it within one weekend because I didn’t want to put it down! It was nicely paced throughout the entire novel and was full of thrills and adventure. The author also did an excellent job of creating suspense. Just when I thought I had the ending figured out, there was a twist that I didn’t see coming at all. As I was reading this book, I found myself wondering if the Man of the Sea is a real legend in the Florida Keys, or if the author created the story for this book. The story is scary and strange enough to be believable as an old urban legend.

My one major critique of this book is that it a little implausible in some parts. For example, Joe meets a girl he likes his first night in the Keys and they have a nice date together. By the end of the week, she tells him that she loves him. That declaration felt very silly to me. It seemed like author was quickly escalating the relationship just for the sake of raising the stakes. It wasn't a natural progression of the story. The character of Carlos also was a little over-the-top. He was such an extreme villian that it was hard to be invested in what happened to him. Carlos was redeemed slightly at the end, but not enough to make his character believable. I was a little bothered by the big twist at the end. I was definitely shocked, but it also didn’t really make much sense to me.

These issues with character development do not cause any significant problems in the overall fun of the book. For this reason, I would highly recommend Man of the Sea. I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. There is a fair amount of graphic violence, so this book is not for anyone who is bothered by that. Anyone who enjoys adventure books and thrillers would enjoy Man of the Sea. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series when it is released.

Man of the Sea
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RebeccasReading's review? Post a comment saying so!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I would love to know how that question about the scary stories of our childhood is answered. The man of the sea himself sounds scary enough for one to even dare approach the sea. I like the twists and turns for they keep the reader fuelled to end. great review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am glad that you found the book enjoyable despite the flaws you stated in the review. I am a fan of horror stories and hence, will definitely be pinning this to my TR list. Thanks for the review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Although the premise is captivating and would appeal to a wide audience, the poor character development would put off serious readers. I would, however, like to see how the author weaves the plot of the man of the sea into the story of the two brothers.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This definitely sounds like an interesting read with a catching premise. Although the story had a slow start, it's still one with a good plot.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Would love to read this. from the good review, its my kind of thriller, one filled with adventure and unexpected twist as you approach the end. Thanks for the good review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It seems like there are many times where you have to suspend your disbelief to enjoy fictional tales. Still, this sounds like a very interesting story. I love twists that come when you are least expecting it. I'll have to put this one on my list for sure. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Thanks for the review Rebeccasreading. Talk of scary stories. While growing up, I always lent a listening ear to tellers of such tales, but from your review which is informative about the contents, the story might be scarier than I am anticipating. With that said, I am still looking forward to reading the plot of the whole story from the beginning up until the end.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”